[comp.unix.aix] Portmapper problems

gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) (02/27/91)

Could someone give me a clue as to what's wrong here - when NFS is started
on our 730 I get the following at regular intervals:
  Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
  rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp)
  Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
  unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp)
The command 'rpcinfo -p' produces:
  Cant contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host
which is the same as when portmap is not even running!  The 730 is
03.01.0001.0003.  A 320 (preinstalled system, same level) hangs when trying
to start NFS, but the other 320, which has only bos.obj, bosm..msgs, bosnet,
& X11 runtime, installed from an early system image (same level) of the 730,
works perfectly - 'rpcinfo -p host' on the other two produces a list of its
rpc entries!
When I first tried NFS out several weeks ago with 03.01.0000.0000 everything
was quite simple and straightforward.  I don't understand what happening
here - I've had a lot of trouble with tcpip but that's stable at the moment,
and I've done absolutely nothing (honest) with NFS except try to start it
using smit. (Oh, ps does show /etc/portmap as a running process)
Thanks in advance
--
    Graeme Moffat,                        Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702

jfenne@super.ORG (Jack N. Fenner) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Feb27.145926.14813@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) writes:
>Could someone give me a clue as to what's wrong here - when NFS is started
>on our 730 I get the following at regular intervals:
>  Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>  rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp)
>  Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>  unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp)
>The command 'rpcinfo -p' produces:
>  Cant contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host
>which is the same as when portmap is not even running!

[rest of note deleted]

I had these exact symptoms on my machine.  The problem was that the
"local" RPC host lo0 was out of sync with my machine.  That is, an attempt
to send an RPC message to the portmap on the local machine fails.  To
solve the problem:

1) Make sure that your /etc/hosts file contains an entry for the local
   host.  A typical entry looks like "127.0.0.1		localhost loopback".

2) Make sure that the ifconfig line in /etc/rc.net for lo0 is
   uncommented and uses the correct name.  A typical entry looks like
   "/etc/ifconfig lo0 inet localhost up >> $LOGFILE 2>&1".

3) Reboot the machine.

Note that in the above, "localhost" must NOT be your regular host name, such
as is returned by the hostname command.  You should be able to ping localhost
if lo0 is working.  By the way, if you've been getting the RPC messages for
a long time, you probably want to clean them out of your error log.  Enter
"smit error" to clean it.

Regards,
--

Jack Fenner           IBM Federal Sector Division Advanced Programs
		      Temporarily assigned to Supercomputing Research Center