[comp.unix.aix] What should I buy with a r6000?

chuck@marie.mit.edu (PARSONS, CHARLES) (03/05/91)

  If there is a FAQ list on these topics could someone send it to me?

  I have to make a quick decision on a R6000 configuration to buy and
I'm looking for some advice on what to buy/not buy. Here are a few,
I went through the last 100 letters (all that are still on our newsserver)
and found info on some of them. I know alot about VMS but not much
about unix, so unix pointers on formating disks etc are also appreciated.

  The system should be a 320 with 8plane color graphics. It will be used
heavily by 2-3 users for scientific computing.

  1. 3rd party memory?? IBM wants >$4000 to go from 8-16 meg.

  2. 3rd party disk drives? I will probably get a internal IBM 320meg
    drive and a 3rd party 1.2 gigabyte, either fujitsu or seagate. Any info
    on formating, disktab entries, etc?

  3. I can't afford the 24bit color, but should I get the 8bit '3D' board,
    or stick with the low end color board?

  4. Software. Anything in particular to get/not get? For instance the
    CD hypertext info disk?

  5. Does the field upgrade from 8bit color to 24 bit color take more
    than just memory, i.e. can I do it myself for less than $13k?

  6. Any problem with just 4 slots? I need ethernet, an external scsi
     controller and graphics. It would be nice to have 1 slot free. does
     24 bit color take 2 slots?

  7. How is the IBM 19" monitor?

  8. Any ftp sites out there dedicated particularly to r6000?

  Many thanks for any info you can  share.

				Chuck@mitlns.mit.edu

jeffs@soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) (03/07/91)

|>   1. 3rd party memory?? IBM wants >$4000 to go from 8-16 meg.

I think there are companies that will sell IBM style syms, so you can upgrade
a 8M board to something higher.  The board is harder to make, and I don't
know if they have been cloned yet.

|>   2. 3rd party disk drives? I will probably get a internal IBM 320meg
|>     drive and a 3rd party 1.2 gigabyte, either fujitsu or seagate. Any info
|>     on formating, disktab entries, etc?

Using 3rd party disks usually works pretty well.  I would think a major 1.2G
drive should work, but hopefully you can get some real experiences.

|>   3. I can't afford the 24bit color, but should I get the 8bit '3D' board,
|>     or stick with the low end color board?

This is a tough question to answer.  It really depends on what you need to
do.  If you can forsee the need to use the 3d capibility, then it is probably
a good bet (see slot stuff below).  However the X server does not work well
on this card at this time.  This should improve over time.

I have a conflict of interest here.  I used to work for IBM on various UNIX
OS development, including the RS/6000.  I now work at SGI, who OEM's the 3d
board to IBM...

|>   5. Does the field upgrade from 8bit color to 24 bit color take more
|>     than just memory, i.e. can I do it myself for less than $13k?

I have never seen a fully configured board, but I think it can be up to
3 boards.  The basic 3d board.  The Z-buffer, and the 24 bit color.  However
this is partially speculation.

I have no idea how much things cost.

|>   6. Any problem with just 4 slots? I need ethernet, an external scsi
|>      controller and graphics. It would be nice to have 1 slot free. does
|>      24 bit color take 2 slots?

4 slots in the 320 is sorta a bad deal.  You need one for ethernet, one for
SCSI, and one for a display.  This make expansion sorta tight.

You probably want to find out how many slots a fully configured 3d card
takes.

|>   7. How is the IBM 19" monitor?

excellent.  It's a sony trinitron tube.

Good luck with your 6000.  Unfortuantely I never had one to my self for a
long time, although my SGI machine works just fine.

jeffs@sgi.com

jona@bcr.bellcore.com (Jon Alperin) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.182757.13151@odin.corp.sgi.com>, jeffs@soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) writes:

|> I think there are companies that will sell IBM style syms, so you can upgrade
|> a 8M board to something higher.  The board is harder to make, and I don't
|> know if they have been cloned yet.

- Be careful...IBM has marketed several versions of their memory chips (SD1, HD4),
and most are not available from 3rd party (In fact, the ones that I have talked to
could only reply "Duhhh" when I asked which chips they had). I have been told
that you cannot mix the chip types, even between the paired boards.

Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research
* All opinions expressed are my own *

graeme@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Graeme Moffat) (03/08/91)

jeffs@soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) writes:

>I have never seen a fully configured board, but I think it can be up to
>3 boards.  The basic 3d board.  The Z-buffer, and the 24 bit color.  However
>this is partially speculation.

4 boards, two piggy backed on the other two, which use two slots.

>|>   6. Any problem with just 4 slots? I need ethernet, an external scsi
>|>      controller and graphics. It would be nice to have 1 slot free. does
>|>      24 bit color take 2 slots?
>4 slots in the 320 is sorta a bad deal.  You need one for ethernet, one for
>SCSI, and one for a display.  This make expansion sorta tight.

Since the 8 bit 3d display is the same as the 24 except with smaller piggy back
boards, this leaves 0 slots for expansion.  (I mean same construction, I've
not seen a 24 bitter, just looked in the service manuals - we're still
waiting for ours).  The colour graphics and monochrome boards are single
slot. (but who wants them *B^)

PS. The design of the ethernet boards connections is sadly deficient - the
bnc connector is too close to the end of the board, making it almost
impossible to fit a T-connector on if there are any cards (such as scsi or
display) beside it, or with a 320, to even put the back cover on at all!  I
am wondering if anyone uses a short stub of cable directly from the board to
the T - not a recommended practice with ethernet, but I believe it usually
works?
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat@aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits

AER7101@TECHNION.BITNET (Zvika Bar-Deroma) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar4.233040.18106@athena.mit.edu>, chuck@marie.mit.edu (PARSONS,
CHARLES) says:

(stuff deleted) ..
.
.

>  1. 3rd party memory?? IBM wants >$4000 to go from 8-16 meg.
Whether IBM or 3rd. party, buy lots of it ! Certainely NOT 8meg.-
16 is a minimum, 32MB probably makes more sense, but you really have
to benchmark your applications in order to decide.

>  6. Any problem with just 4 slots? I need ethernet, an external scsi
>     controller and graphics. It would be nice to have 1 slot free. does
>     24 bit color take 2 slots?
I think that the Silicon Graphics adapter requires 2 slots, so in case
that's what you need, you'll have NO free slots left.

>  7. How is the IBM 19" monitor?
great !

/Zvika

Zvika Bar-Deroma                                  Phone: (+972)-4-292706
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering,                 Fax  : (+972)-4-231848
Technion
Haifa 32000
Israel

BITNET        :   AER7101@TECHNION