[comp.unix.aix] Box attributes in terminfo

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (03/08/91)

Under AIX 3.1, IBM has extened curses and, in addition, added a few
fields not normally found in terminfo on other system. Among the fields
added are box1, box2, batt1 and batt2 - they have, however, neglected
to document these fields in any significant manner. They do get
mentioned, very briefly, in the info entry for the terminfo file.

Apparently, however, these are used - in particular, by info. Without
the box attributes in a terminfo entry, info draws garbage on the screen
when trying to drawy boxes. In addition, despite other attributes which
one would think define the graphics character set, stuff like smit
still simulates boxes using characters...

any clues - or is viewing info on any thing other than a "supported"
terminal a lost cause?

- Scott

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (03/08/91)

In article <23850@hydra.gatech.EDU> scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:

>Under AIX 3.1, IBM has extened curses and, in addition, added a few
>fields not normally found in terminfo on other system. Among the fields
>added are box1, box2, batt1 and batt2 - they have, however, neglected
>to document these fields in any significant manner. They do get
>mentioned, very briefly, in the info entry for the terminfo file.
>
>Apparently, however, these are used - in particular, by info. Without
>the box attributes in a terminfo entry, info draws garbage on the screen
>when trying to drawy boxes. In addition, despite other attributes which
>one would think define the graphics character set, stuff like smit
>still simulates boxes using characters...
>
>any clues - or is viewing info on any thing other than a "supported"
>terminal a lost cause?
>
>- Scott

The IBM document

	Item 9VRCJ	Document ID Q519417
	Title: 901217 HOWTO AIX: MODIFYING TERMINFO DESCRIPTIONS FOR
		      OEM TERMINALS FOR USE WITH INFOEXPLORER

gives a little information on the box1 terminfo field.  It says:

	box1=LhRvrl

where:	L = character user to draw upper left corner
	h = character used to draw horizontal lines
	R = character used to draw upper right corner
	v = character used to draw vertical lines
	r = character used to draw lower right corner
	l = character used to draw lower left corner

As an example,

	box1+-+|++

draws boxes with `+' at the corners, `-' in horizontal lines and `|' in
vertical lines.

Box1 is the only terminfo field this document describes.  It refers the
reader to "the TERMINFO documentation in the Files Reference Manual,"
but I think that's what infoexplorer finds when you do a search on "box1".

Vic Abell, <abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu>