[comp.unix.aix] RISC System/6000 FTP sites

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/10/91)

In article <U714092.91Mar8150825@mustang.larc.nasa.gov> u714092@mustang.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon      ) writes:
>I'm in the same boat; I'm looking for stuff like less, tcsh, GNUemacs
>and so forth.  I recall the thread that GNUemacs hasn't been fully
>ported yet, but maybe microemacs or something is available until then.

Ancient history... GNU EMACS 18.57 from prep.ai.mit.edu among other
places has full AIX 3.1 dumpable support. less source compiles with no
errors if you choose the Sys V in config. tcsh binary to be found on
tesla.ee.cornell.edu, I think...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

marc@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) (03/13/91)

In article <3630@d75.UUCP>, woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
|> In article <U714092.91Mar8150825@mustang.larc.nasa.gov> u714092@mustang.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon      ) writes:
|> >I'm in the same boat; I'm looking for stuff like less, tcsh, GNUemacs
|> >and so forth.  I recall the thread that GNUemacs hasn't been fully
|> >ported yet, but maybe microemacs or something is available until then.
|>
|> Ancient history... GNU EMACS 18.57 from prep.ai.mit.edu among other
|> places has full AIX 3.1 dumpable support. less source compiles with no
|> errors if you choose the Sys V in config. tcsh binary to be found on
|> tesla.ee.cornell.edu, I think...

Sorry, tcsh binaries are no longer to be found on tesla due to tcsh being a
derived work from AT&T copywritten csh. (sigh)  You _must_ have an AT&T
source license to have the csh sources necessary to compile tcsh.

+--Marc Pawliger----IBM Advanced Workstations Division----Palo Alto, CA---+
|   Internet: marc@ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com        VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6  |
|    UUCP:     uunet!ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com!marc  Phone:   (415) 855-3493  |
+-----IBMinet:  marc@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com----------IBM T/L:  465-3493------+

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.152509@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> marc@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) writes:
>Sorry, tcsh binaries are no longer to be found on tesla due to tcsh
>being a derived work from AT&T copywritten csh. (sigh) You _must_
>have an AT&T source license to have the csh sources necessary to
>compile tcsh.

Well maybe not for long as an AT&T free release of csh is being readied
for release with BSD 4.4 according to Karels...