[comp.unix.aix] Retrieving hard disk space

tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (03/18/91)

I just installed an update to AIX 1.2 on a PS/2 and seem to have lost well
over 10 megabytes of precious disk space in the process.  Seems that there are
some big files in /usr/lpp.save.

Just how necessary is it to keep these files around, especially if
I don't (or can't) uninstall anything?  Incidentally, why doesn't uninst work
like the manual says it's supposed to?

If I can get rid of some of these files, which ones can I dump safely without
jeapardizing future installp's and updatep's?  Are there other obscure files
that I should target for removal?

Would appreciate any help on this as I am running very low on disk space.

Antonio Querubin
tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

dwight@locus.com (Dwight Tovey) (03/20/91)

In article <11997@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>I just installed an update to AIX 1.2 on a PS/2 and seem to have lost well
>over 10 megabytes of precious disk space in the process.  Seems that there are
>some big files in /usr/lpp.save.
>
>Just how necessary is it to keep these files around, especially if
>I don't (or can't) uninstall anything?  Incidentally, why doesn't uninst work
>like the manual says it's supposed to?
>
>If I can get rid of some of these files, which ones can I dump safely without
>jeapardizing future installp's and updatep's?  Are there other obscure files
>that I should target for removal?
>
>Would appreciate any help on this as I am running very low on disk space.
>
>Antonio Querubin
>tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

If you look in the directory '/etc/lpp' you will find a shell script called
'cleanup'.  This script will allow you to move the 'lpp.save' files to a
backup device, and recover some of your disk space.

You will probably only need to keep some of these files around after you do
an updatep that you may later want to uncommit/reject.  These files allow
updatep to restore your system to the way it was before you applied the PTF.
You can still remove these files after the update (using 'cleanup'), just
make sure you save the backup tape so you can put them back later.

One of the reasons uninst doesn't work is because of some cross-lpp
dependencies.  There are a few lpps that install the same files, so if
you uninstall one of the lpps, you will break the others by removing these
multiply installed files.
	/dwight

--
	Dwight Tovey
	dwight@locus.com

richp@locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) (03/20/91)

In article <11997@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>some big files in /usr/lpp.save.
>
>Just how necessary is it to keep these files around, especially if

If you're asking the manual, don't delete them.  If you're asking me (one
who is running 1.2.1 in 140 *very precious* megabytes of disk space) anytime
I do an updatep, I cd /usr/lpp.save as root and /bin/rm -f [0-9]*/* to reclaim
space.  I just take the "there's no going back" approach.

Rich
--
                  Richard Pettit         Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp@locus.com

tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.154507.1002569@locus.com> richp@locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) writes:
>In article <11997@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>>some big files in /usr/lpp.save.
>>
>>Just how necessary is it to keep these files around, especially if
>
>If you're asking the manual, don't delete them.  If you're asking me (one
>who is running 1.2.1 in 140 *very precious* megabytes of disk space) anytime
>I do an updatep, I cd /usr/lpp.save as root and /bin/rm -f [0-9]*/* to reclaim
>space.  I just take the "there's no going back" approach.

I've only got 120 *extremely precious* megabytes so I'm looking at the 'no
going back' approach seriously.  Suppose I follow this, what happens when I
have to do a second updatep on an LPP?  Will updatep require the same
information that uninst requires?

With the way AIX handles LPP installs and updates, you'd think that it's all
a plot to get you to buy a bigger disk drive!

An incidental question:  Are the man files available in nroff format?  Seems
like you could gain a little bit of space back by getting rid of the formatted
versions of the man files.

Antonio Querubin
tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

richp@locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) (03/21/91)

>I've only got 120 *extremely precious* megabytes so I'm looking at the 'no
>going back' approach seriously.  Suppose I follow this, what happens when I
>have to do a second updatep on an LPP?  Will updatep require the same
>information that uninst requires?

Nope.  Updatep will just use the /usr/lpp.save/pointer file to figure out
where to put the next backup.  The files I *would not* delete are /etc/lpp/ghf
and /usr/lpp.save/ercv/lpp.ghf.

>With the way AIX handles LPP installs and updates, you'd think that it's all
>a plot to get you to buy a bigger disk drive!

IBM - Install Bigger Media :-)

>An incidental question:  Are the man files available in nroff format?  Seems
>like you could gain a little bit of space back by getting rid of the formatted
>versions of the man files.

Unfortunately no.  There are kept in orignal source form in "storybook" or
"picturebook" or "some-stupidbook" format.  The same as delivered.

As an aside, 1.2.1 takes up less space than 1.2.0.  I went from 1.1 to 1.2.1
because I felt it was up to the task of the pounding I can give an OS.  So
far, no major complaints.  And Ahhh, NFS, rpc, yp.  Toys.

>Antonio Querubin
>tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

Rich
--

stevea@locus.com (Steve Anderson) (03/22/91)

>An incidental question:  Are the man files available in nroff format?  Seems
>like you could gain a little bit of space back by getting rid of the formatted
>versions of the man files.

No, PS/2 and 370 AIX man files are not available in nroff format.  The
source for the man pages (and hardcopy) is in IBM Bookmaster format.
--
-Steve A. Anderson         I do not speak officially for Locus or IBM, just me.
stevea@locus.com  the Picasso smiley %-)  ...{uunet|ucla-se|sequent}!lcc!stevea