[comp.unix.aix] nslookup

bware@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Bob Ware) (03/20/91)

The nslookup command does not seem to be present on RS/6000
AIX 3.1 (3003).

Is there a public domain version of nslookup?  Has it been ported to AIX?

--
Bob Ware, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA
(303) 273-3987

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar19.210247.13411@slate.mines.colorado.edu> bware@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Bob Ware) writes:

>The nslookup command does not seem to be present on RS/6000
>AIX 3.1 (3003).
>
>Is there a public domain version of nslookup?  Has it been ported to AIX?

Yes, IBM has not included nslookup in its distribution. I have often thought
that this should be remedied as it is such an essential tool to nameservice
debugging. However, it is not that big of a deal; all you need to do is lay
your hands on the BIND distribution from UCB, it may not be "public domain"
but it is freely available and the source for nslookup is included. I have
not built it for the 6000 but it shouldn't be much trouble. If you have
trouble getting the code to work contact your support representative or, I
suppose, post here.

Disclaimer: I do not speak for LCC or IBM.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

reilly@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G. Brendan Reilly) (03/23/91)

A much better choice for examining the domain naming system
on the Internet is 'dig' -- which was written by the person
wrote the DNS RFC.

You can find the source in ~ftp/pub on venera.isi.edu
the file dig.2.0.tar.Z

		Brendan Reilly