[comp.unix.aix] replacing sendmail

langley@ds13.scri.fsu.edu (Randolph Langley) (03/26/91)

I finally got smail to compile for the ibm rs/6000. Now for the question
of the moment: Can I blithely install it as /usr/lib/sendmail?

Other, hopefully useless questions: Will all that weird startsrc and
stopsrc and whatever the hell kinda garbage has been foisted onto aix
work? If not, what kind of machinations do I have step through to make
it work? And if it is not possible, then why the hell do they sell it
as a unix compatible machine?

Also having just gone through a horrible nightmare of upgrading these
beasties recently, will changing this binary cause such contortions at
the next upgrade?

rdl

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (03/28/91)

In article <LANGLEY.91Mar25144114@ds13.scri.fsu.edu> langley@ds13.scri.fsu.edu (Randolph Langley) writes:

>I finally got smail to compile for the ibm rs/6000. Now for the question
>of the moment: Can I blithely install it as /usr/lib/sendmail?
>
>Also having just gone through a horrible nightmare of upgrading these
>beasties recently, will changing this binary cause such contortions at
>the next upgrade?

	I'm assuming that you are using smail 3.1 (which is probably
a baseless assumption). Anyhow I've had smail 3.1 running as sendmail
on my system for some time.

	The only catch on an upgrade is to have it stored somewhere
else so that when there upgrade walks on the sendmail binary that
you have a binary to drop back in.

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

langley@ds13.scri.fsu.edu (Randolph Langley) (03/30/91)

   >I'm assuming that you are using smail 3.1 (which is probably
   >a baseless assumption). Anyhow I've had smail 3.1 running as sendmail
   >on my system for some time.

   >The only catch on an upgrade is to have it stored somewhere
   >else so that when there upgrade walks on the sendmail binary that
   >you have a binary to drop back in.

   >Geoff Coleman
   >Unexsys Systems

Yep, using smail 3.1.19. Were you able to get startsrc/stopsrc
to work with it?

rdl