[comp.unix.aix] RS/6000 Multiuser Performance

brs@cis.ufl.edu (Ray Seyfarth) (03/29/91)

I am curious about experiences of users of RS/6000 model 320 systems
with multiple users.  In particular I would like some feedback from
users with about 30 X terminals attached to a 320.  What kind of
performance is achieved and how much memory is needed?

I am interested in using X terminals in an academic setting.  There
would be a lot of editing and a moderate amount of other activity.

Please email responses to brs@reef.cis.ufl.edu.

Thanks.

Ray Seyfarth

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (03/29/91)

In article <27718@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, brs@cis.ufl.edu (Ray Seyfarth) writes:
> I am curious about experiences of users of RS/6000 model 320 systems
> with multiple users.  In particular I would like some feedback from
> users with about 30 X terminals attached to a 320.  What kind of
> performance is achieved and how much memory is needed?
>
> Ray Seyfarth

I'm interested in this, too.  _Personal Workstation_ [nee _MIPS_] a
few months ago [January issue?  I thought I had it at my desk, but I
can't find it now....] had a long detailed series of articles on
the 320, one of which said they really sucked air doing serious
multi-user work.  I copied the articles and gave them to my IBM
salesman, who's looking into possible answers/rebuttals.  It was
unclear from the article whether the problem was inherent architecture,
cache size (which would be somewhat remedied by larger cache on xy0,
y >= 3), or AIX (which could at some point be fixed).

It's necessary to note that _Personal Workstation_ could better be
named _PC Hotrods_, and they may have some editorial bias in favor
of not giving their Everex 486-using readers bad cases of RS/6000-envy.
But the numbers they published were disturbing.

This may all have been discussed before I discovered that this
newsgroup was where the RS/6000 stuff got posted.  If so, I apologize
for bringing it up again....

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) (03/30/91)

In article <27718@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, brs@cis.ufl.edu (Ray Seyfarth) writes:
|> I am curious about experiences of users of RS/6000 model 320 systems
|> with multiple users.  In particular I would like some feedback from
|> users with about 30 X terminals attached to a 320.  What kind of
|> performance is achieved..

Has anyone else noticed problems with the ethernet controller on the
model 320?   Some testing I've done seems to indicate that TCP
throughput is limited to about 400KB/sec, which is quite slow.  Even
stranger is that if I reduce the size of the individual packets (say
if the size of the packet changes from 1500 bytes down to 64 bytes) I
still can't send much more packets/sec than with the larger packet
size.  The throughput would naturally decrease with smaller packets,
as you would expect, but you should to be able to send more packets/sec
if they're smaller.  It's really odd!

It is possible that our controller is still a pre-GA version, and
we are getting it swapped to a newer one (part 718 1182) to see if
this helps.

|> I am interested in using X terminals in an academic setting.  There
|> would be a lot of editing and a moderate amount of other activity.

Last week I posted a similar question, but noone responded with more
than 65 simultaneous users (not xterminal users, but "generic timesharing"
users, if there is such a thing) so let me ask again: Does anyone have
an RS-6000 with more than 50 simultaneous users?  If you do, your input
would be greatly appreciated!

jdh

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!bu.edu!bu-pub!jdh

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (03/30/91)

In article <78003@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
>Last week I posted a similar question, but noone responded with more
>than 65 simultaneous users (not xterminal users, but "generic timesharing"
>users, if there is such a thing) so let me ask again: Does anyone have
>an RS-6000 with more than 50 simultaneous users?  If you do, your input
>would be greatly appreciated!

I regularly use a S/6000 with upwards of 120 users on it.  The machine
is used by IBM support staff and contractors to access a database of
APAR and "How To" question information.

You really should contact your IBM sales representative.  She will have
a collection of customers who are willing to be used as references.  I
know from discussions on IBM internal newgroups that there are customers
running over 250 users on a single machine.

DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for IBM and they don't speak for me.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (03/31/91)

In article <19136@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <78003@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
>>Last week I posted a similar question, but noone responded with more
>>than 65 simultaneous users (not xterminal users, but "generic timesharing"
>>users, if there is such a thing) so let me ask again: Does anyone have
>>an RS-6000 with more than 50 simultaneous users?  If you do, your input
>>would be greatly appreciated!
>
>I regularly use a S/6000 with upwards of 120 users on it.  The machine
>is used by IBM support staff and contractors to access a database of
>APAR and "How To" question information.

You really need to be more specific here, i.e. which *model* of RS/6000 are
you using?

Someone asked about using a 320 to serve a bunch of Xstations. I have no
experience with Xstations, but I do know that the interactive response time
on a 320 is abysmal with more than a couple of users on it, especially if
one of them is running anything remotely CPU- or IO-intensive.

The 530 is not bad, the 540 is quite good. Never used a 550 or any of the
other high-end systems. It depends so much on what your users do, though,
that the question is very difficult to respond to generally.

BTW, when you're configuring any RS/6000, bear in mind that the kernel is
huge compared to other UNIXes (unices?). We got our 320 with 16MB, normally
just fine for our application, and when we found performance to be very
disappointing IBM loaned us a 16MB board to try. Result: the application
ran on average 1.5x faster, in some cases twice as fast as before. The
reason was quite simply because the AIX kernel used half the original 16MB.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM

schales@cs.tamu.edu (Douglas Lee Schales) (04/01/91)

In article <78003@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:

>Has anyone else noticed problems with the ethernet controller on the
>model 320?   Some testing I've done seems to indicate that TCP
>throughput is limited to about 400KB/sec, which is quite slow.  Even
>stranger is that if I reduce the size of the individual packets (say
>if the size of the packet changes from 1500 bytes down to 64 bytes) I
>still can't send much more packets/sec than with the larger packet
>size.  The throughput would naturally decrease with smaller packets,
>as you would expect, but you should to be able to send more packets/sec
>if they're smaller.  It's really odd!
>
>It is possible that our controller is still a pre-GA version, and
>we are getting it swapped to a newer one (part 718 1182) to see if
>this helps.

We've noticed that NFS on a 320 here is a real dog.  We attributed it to
the Ethernet card.  A Sparc1+ left the 320 choking on dust when they both
were writing on an NFS partition.  The
application was floating point intensive with about 70k of output.
The Sparc was 2-3 times faster when the output was written to a file on
an NFS partition, while the 320 was
~2 times faster when writing to a local disk.

Our SE is checking into the problem.

Doug.
| Douglas Lee Schales       |
| schales@cs.tamu.edu       |