[comp.unix.aix] major/minor device?

cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) (03/26/91)

[using PS/2 and 370 arch]
I'm trying to figure out how to find a filesystem's major/minor # for use in
the quota library call.  It asks for one integer, and there are two possible
integers, obvously.  I've tried using the gfs # but that just gives me garbage.

Hell, for that matter, anyone have some code that modifies quotas?  We're
trying to get this stuff working.

--
cknight@polyslo.calpoly.edu                    ---King Claudius---

brian@locus.com (Brian D. Horn) (03/26/91)

In article <27ee5738.4ab0@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) writes:

>[using PS/2 and 370 arch]
>I'm trying to figure out how to find a filesystem's major/minor # for use in
>the quota library call.  It asks for one integer, and there are two possible
>integers, obvously.  I've tried using the gfs # but that just gives me garbage.

	Having just read through the source could I can tell you definitively
that the gfs number is what is required DESPITE the &@#$^&#@ manual page.
What kind of "garbage" did you get?

bengsig@dk.oracle.com (Bjorn Engsig) (04/02/91)

Article <27ee5738.4ab0@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> by cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) says:

|[using PS/2 and 370 arch]
|I'm trying to figure out how to find a filesystem's major/minor # for use in
|the quota library call.
Others have said that you don't really need the major/minor numbers.  But for
the next case:

  The st_rdev field of the stat structure returned by any call from the stat
  family has major and minor numbers packed as to shorts into a long.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl