[comp.unix.aix] Installing SLIP

rmccoy@rock.concert.net (Ron McCoy - Yale Security) (03/28/91)

I'm trying to set up SLIP on a couple of RS/6000's. Please be
gentle, I'm new at this and RTFM'ing as fast as I can.

Everything seems to go OK until I try to start up the connection.
slattach is running on TTY1 with the right baud and modem
initialization string. DTR comes on on the modem, but nothing else.
There are no characters being sent to the modem. I tried out my
modem switch settings first by using them for straight dialin
(getty) from one box to the other. That works fine.

What would cause slattach to just sit there? Any ideas on what he's
waiting for? Direct mail would be preferred, and I'll post a
summary if there seems to be sufficient interest.

Ron McCoy
Rmccoy@rock.concert.net

m-hirano@sra.co.jp (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar28.155736.2688@rock.concert.net> rmccoy@rock.concert.net (Ron McCoy - Yale Security) writes:

 >> I'm trying to set up SLIP on a couple of RS/6000's. Please be
 >> gentle, I'm new at this and RTFM'ing as fast as I can.
 >>
 >> Everything seems to go OK until I try to start up the connection.
 >> slattach is running on TTY1 with the right baud and modem
 >> initialization string. DTR comes on on the modem, but nothing else.
 >> There are no characters being sent to the modem. I tried out my
 >> modem switch settings first by using them for straight dialin
 >> (getty) from one box to the other. That works fine.
 >>
 >> What would cause slattach to just sit there? Any ideas on what he's
 >> waiting for? Direct mail would be preferred, and I'll post a
 >> summary if there seems to be sufficient interest.
 >>
 >> Ron McCoy
 >> Rmccoy@rock.concert.net

Hi.

What version of OS do you use ?
In 3003, I had a same problem.

In my case, When I type "slattach tty0" on two machines connected with TB2500,
it seem goes OK, then I try "ping", there is no answer. And then, I got a message
from console, "slattach: tty0 connection closed."

So, I ported tahoe code "slattach". It works fine. But I can not use dial up.

If you don't need to dial up, please try it.

Thank you for reading my funny english.

m-hirano@sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc. Japan.

  ($@3t(J)$@#S#R#A(J					$@J?Ln(J  $@4p9'(J
  $@%o!<%/%9%F!<%7%g%s#S#I5;=QIt(J			TEL:	03-234-2654
  						$@Fb@~(J:	4310
  $@El5~ET@iBeED6hJ?2OD.#1!]#1!]#1(J		E-Mail:	m-hirano@sra.co.jp

john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) (04/02/91)

From article <1991Mar28.155736.2688@rock.concert.net>, by rmccoy@rock.concert.net (Ron McCoy - Yale Security):
> I'm trying to set up SLIP on a couple of RS/6000's. Please be
> gentle, I'm new at this and RTFM'ing as fast as I can.

Unfortunately TFM is pretty useless :-(

> Everything seems to go OK until I try to start up the connection.
> slattach is running on TTY1 with the right baud and modem
> initialization string. DTR comes on on the modem, but nothing else.
> There are no characters being sent to the modem. I tried out my
> modem switch settings first by using them for straight dialin
> (getty) from one box to the other. That works fine.

mmm mmm - sounds just like me last week.
Well - I rang up Mr IBM and (finally) got a copy of their fix for this.
You must be running 3003 for this to work though...
ok - checklist:
	1) TCP/IP installed
	2) tty configured properly for the modem. Also you should add "clocal"
	  to "stty attributes for run time" when configuring the tty.
	3) make sure modem and tty can connect properly (just use ate or
	  something similar).
	4) create the SLIP devices as usual
	5) Edit /usr/lib/uucp/Devices and insert the following line:
		Direct ttyX - <modem speed> direct
	6) disable the tty: pdisable ttyX
	7) on the remote host issue the following command to set up one end
	  of the SLIP connection:
	  NOTE: DO THIS FIRST!!!!
		/etc/slattach /dev/ttyX
	8) on the local host, start the other end of the connection with:
		/etc/slattach /dev/ttyX 9600 '"" ATDT8391 CONNECT ""'
	  using \r for carriage return is not currently supported, but will be
	  RSN.
	  of course plug in your tty and phone numbers.
	9) pat yourself on the back as it is now working!

Thanks to the IBM support centre for their help...

> Ron McCoy
> Rmccoy@rock.concert.net

John Warburton

John Warburton                          Phone   : +61 8 228 5583
Department of Computer Science          Telex   : UNIVAD AA89141
University of Adelaide                  Fax     : +61 8 223 1206
GPO Box 498 Adelaide SA 5001            ACSnet  : john@cs.adelaide.edu.au

robin@pensoft.uucp (Robin Wilson) (04/03/91)

In article <2737@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
>From article <1991Mar28.155736.2688@rock.concert.net>, by rmccoy@rock.concert.net (Ron McCoy - Yale Security):
>> I'm trying to set up SLIP on a couple of RS/6000's. Please be
>> gentle, I'm new at this and RTFM'ing as fast as I can.

>Well - I rang up Mr IBM and (finally) got a copy of their fix for this.
>You must be running 3003 for this to work though...
>ok - checklist:
>	1) TCP/IP installed
>	2) tty configured properly for the modem. Also you should add "clocal"
>	  to "stty attributes for run time" when configuring the tty.

Wrong.  This will have no affect on a SLIP line.  The "stty attributes for
runtime" are not set until after a getty process has called "login" and login
has successfully verified your login name and password.  So setting "clocal"
here will not do anything.  Instead, you must strap Carrier Detect High on
the modem.  (This is a bug, and will be fixed in a later version...)  This
is something I often forget about because the last version I played with had
the fix in it...  This is caused by the "BLOCKING" IO on the serial port
line discipline.  Slattach does not open the port with non-blocking IO so
it can't write to the serial port until Carrier Detect comes high.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |