[comp.unix.aix] Elm on AIX PS/2

lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) (03/08/91)

Has anyone gotten elm to run on a ps/2 70 running aix ver 1.2?
I keep blowing up on the leavembox.c file. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance-Moxley@uiuc.edu

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.041431.8094@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>Has anyone gotten elm to run on a ps/2 70 running aix ver 1.2?
>I keep blowing up on the leavembox.c file. Any help would be
>appreciated.

You neglected to mention which verion and patchlevel of Elm you
are using.  I have an older version of running on this PS/2,
and it is used by several other people in this department.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.041431.8094@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>Has anyone gotten elm to run on a ps/2 70 running aix ver 1.2?

Yes, we use elm internally here at LCC, although I was not the one
who built it so I don't know how difficult it was to port. The biggest
problem with an older version of the code which I did port (although its
been so long ago I don't remember any specifics) was that AIX uses the
.newmail mailbox in the user's home, whereas that version of the elm
code expected the usual '/usr/spool/mail/userid'.

>I keep blowing up on the leavembox.c file. Any help would be
        ^^^^^^^^^^
>appreciated.

Descriptions such as this are useless, what do you mean? Does the compile
fail here, and if so what specifically is the error? Or does the binary
get an error in this code? Be a bit more detailed and perhaps someone can
help.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.195513.14010@turnkey.tcc.com> jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.041431.8094@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>>Has anyone gotten elm to run on a ps/2 70 running aix ver 1.2?
>
>Yes, we use elm internally here at LCC, although I was not the one
>who built it so I don't know how difficult it was to port. The biggest
>problem with an older version of the code which I did port (although its
>been so long ago I don't remember any specifics) was that AIX uses the
>.newmail mailbox in the user's home, whereas that version of the elm
>code expected the usual '/usr/spool/mail/userid'.
>
>>I keep blowing up on the leavembox.c file. Any help would be
>        ^^^^^^^^^^
>>appreciated.
>
>Descriptions such as this are useless, what do you mean? Does the compile
>fail here, and if so what specifically is the error? Or does the binary
>get an error in this code? Be a bit more detailed and perhaps someone can
>help.
>
>Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.
>
>--
>Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
>AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
>Locus Computing Corp.		jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM

Below is what happens when leavembox.c tries to compile. I've had
a few responses, but so far nothing has worked. What is the proper
way to handle the $HOME/.newmail problem?

Lance

        cc  -O -I../hdrs    -c leavembox.c
IBM AIX PS/2 C Language - Version 1.1
5713-AFC  (C) COPYRIGHT IBM CORP. 1988
LICENSED MATERIAL - PROGRAM PROPERTY OF IBM

  2866. # 125 "leavembox.c"
  2867.         struct utimbuf utime_buffer;    <<<<<
***** Error number 116 in line 125 of file leavembox.c *****
***** Undefined struct or union not allowed *****
  3342. # 614 "leavembox.c"
  3343.         utime_buffer.actime <<<<<
***** Error number 116 in line 614 of file leavembox.c *****
***** Undefined struct or union not allowed *****
  3342. # 614 "leavembox.c"
  3343.         utime_buffer.actime <<<<<
***** Error number 148 in line 614 of file leavembox.c *****
***** Identifier is not a member name *****
  3343.         utime_buffer.actime = buf.st_atime;
  3344.         utime_buffer.modtime=<<<<<
***** Error number 116 in line 615 of file leavembox.c *****
***** Undefined struct or union not allowed *****
  3343.         utime_buffer.actime = buf.st_atime;
  3344.         utime_buffer.modtime=<<<<<
***** Error number 148 in line 615 of file leavembox.c *****
***** Identifier is not a member name *****
5 errors.  0 warnings.  3570 lines.  File leavembox.c
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) (03/12/91)

In article <5821@awdprime.UUCP> jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.041431.8094@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>>Has anyone gotten elm to run on a ps/2 70 running aix ver 1.2?
>>I keep blowing up on the leavembox.c file. Any help would be
>>appreciated.
>
>You neglected to mention which verion and patchlevel of Elm you
>are using.  I have an older version of running on this PS/2,
>and it is used by several other people in this department.
>--
>John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
>SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ
>BangNet: ..!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!snowball.austin.ibm.com!jfh (e-i-e-i-o)

The version I have is 2.3.10 from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu. I posted the
compile error from leavembox.c earlier.

Thanks again to everyone for the help on this. I'll get it going
sooner or later.

Lance-Moxley@uiuc.edu

lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) (03/12/91)

Thanks to Greg Poist from IBM, Palo Alto! The problem with
leavembox.c was that "#include <unistd.h>" was needed.

Now, does anyone know how to resolve the problem that elm
wants to use /usr/spool/mail/userid and AIX puts the mail
in $HOME/.newmail?

Thanks,
Lance-Moxley@uiuc.edu

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.220400.24300@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:

>Below is what happens when leavembox.c tries to compile. I've had
>a few responses, but so far nothing has worked.

Ah, that reminds me of the problems I had building elm for aix ps/2.  The
configure script tries to figure out whether to include <time.h> or
<sys/time.h> or both, but it gets it wrong for aix.

I've forgotten which way around it was, but if you look in config.h you should
find either #define or #undef for I_TIME and I_SYSTIME.  Make them
both be #define and it should compile OK.

>What is the proper
>way to handle the $HOME/.newmail problem?

I didn't do anything about it, since Elm does look for a MAIL environment
variable first, and this is set to the $HOME/.newmail by default.
But it would be better to have it know about where the default mail boxes
are without depending on this.  Probably not a difficult fix.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/12/91)

lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>Now, does anyone know how to resolve the problem that elm
>wants to use /usr/spool/mail/userid and AIX puts the mail
>in $HOME/.newmail?
Yes, use the MAIL environment variable.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.194049.11696@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>Now, does anyone know how to resolve the problem that elm
>wants to use /usr/spool/mail/userid and AIX puts the mail
>in $HOME/.newmail?

Sure, export "MAIL=/$HOME/.newmail".  Elm will snoop about
the environment and use that value if it exists.
--

In article <1991Mar11.215956.27101@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:
>>Now, does anyone know how to resolve the problem that elm
>>wants to use /usr/spool/mail/userid and AIX puts the mail
>>in $HOME/.newmail?
>Yes, use the MAIL environment variable.
>--
>Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP                   Elm Coordinator
>Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
>syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

That's the trick! Thanks to everyone who helped me on this.
It works great.

Lance-Moxley@uiuc.edu

bengsig@dk.oracle.com (Bjorn Engsig) (03/12/91)

Article <1991Mar10.220400.24300@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> by lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) says:
|Below is what happens when leavembox.c tries to compile.
|  2866. # 125 "leavembox.c"
|  2867.         struct utimbuf utime_buffer;    <<<<<
|***** Error number 116 in line 125 of file leavembox.c *****
|***** Undefined struct or union not allowed *****
The sourcefile src/leavembox.c actually has a struct utimbuf declaration
included which you will get with certain combinations of #define's.  Look
for NOUTIMBUF.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl

bengsig@dk.oracle.com (Bjorn Engsig) (03/12/91)

Article <5836@awdprime.UUCP> by jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) says:
|[how does elm handle mailbox in ~/.newmail?]
|
|Sure, export "MAIL=/$HOME/.newmail".  Elm will snoop about
|the environment and use that value if it exists.
This is, however, not understood by the filter program.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl

lester@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (K R Lester) (04/08/91)

Hello, I haven't been able to read all the stuff here yet, but
nevertheless I will speak, even if you've heard it before.
Data: "I" have an RS6000 on a network
Statement: Gone are the days when printers were always lpa0
and other such abbreviations. (I know it is still common but it is,
I would suggest, far from the rule.)
Data: We have many laser printers (lucky us), they have useful, not silly
names to tell us more-or-less where they are, dept. etc.
This along with the 'lw' ending makes them more than 7 (?) chars long.

Gripe: Why oh why did that 3 letter-word company set a limit of 7 chars
on (remote/local) printer names/queues.
Maybe it's just me but we have other systems which can and do cope -
hence the problem. We can produce abbreviated aliases but why should
we have to.

While I'm here wasting bandwidth ...

IBM refused to send us any paper docs. We have cdroms but no easily
available reader (hacked our sun cd-drive onto RS over network).

There's too much info (for once)

After all the problems we've had. (It didn't work when we got it,
and I had to help the technician fix it. He was more lost than me,
and I'd never seen a R*t Sh*t 6000 (sorry, I'm sure it's been said before).
Anyway I changed the login message to "Welcome to Aix and Pains v3.1" etc.

Thanks for bothering to read this far. Cheers

	Kim :-)

lester@physics.su.oz.au			I  DOS - the original computer virus.
Kim Lester:  Dept. High Energy Physics, I
		Sydney University,	I  OS/2 on PS/2 - half an operating
		Down Under		I          system on half a computer.