[comp.unix.aix] Any problems using info in X11R4 on RS/6000?

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/08/91)

Hello,

We have plan to build X11R4 on our RS/6000s.  One thing I am not sure is
whether InfoExplorer would run in X11R4 or not.  Could someone who has used
X11R4 on RS/6000s share some of your experience?

BTW, I know info -a would do in the worst case, but that's not what I would
like to know.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.043533.16413@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>We have plan to build X11R4 on our RS/6000s.  One thing I am not sure is
>whether InfoExplorer would run in X11R4 or not.  Could someone who has used
>X11R4 on RS/6000s share some of your experience?

I doubt you'd be able to port your own R4 server, so what's the question?

On a different note, for those not wishing to apply the patches
themselves, I am told Sunrise Software is selling the X11R4 and Motif
1.1.1 for AIX 3.1... The number I have for them is (401) 847-7868.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Paul Amaranth) (04/09/91)

In article <3742@d75.UUCP> woan@cactus.org writes:
>On a different note, for those not wishing to apply the patches
>themselves, I am told Sunrise Software is selling the X11R4 and Motif
>1.1.1 for AIX 3.1... The number I have for them is (401) 847-7868.

I will provide a dump of the compiled X11R4 tape1 (the one with all the
clients) for a small handling charge, ready to 'make install'.  You need
at least 30 Meg free for it.  If you just want the compiled libraries, I can
send that out too, although for obvious reasons I would not recommend it.
Send e-mail for info.

--
Paul Amaranth  office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | WANTED: Clever saying

pcad (Eduardo Juncosa) (04/10/91)

>In article <3742@d75.UUCP> woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
>
>On a different note, for those not wishing to apply the patches
>themselves, I am told Sunrise Software is selling the X11R4 and Motif
>1.1.1 for AIX 3.1... The number I have for them is (401) 847-7868.
>
>--
>+-----All Views Expressed Are My Own And Are Not Necessarily Shared By------+
>+------------------------------My Employer----------------------------------+
>+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
>+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

What I want to know is, what advantages do I get from using X11R4 and Motif 1.1?

I understand they are "better", but what does that REALLY mean?  Is is faster?
smaller? prettier?  I assume I would still be using IBM's X11R3 server, so I
would not be getting the X11R4 server improvements and extensions?

Most important, are these advantages important enough that I can lose IBM's
support for bugs.  Right now when I have an X or Motif bug, I report it to IBM
and they eventually will get fixed.  IBM's support may not be the fastest, or
best, but it is a lot better than not having it.

Eddy

* Eduardo R. Juncosa  | P-CAD / CADAM           *
* uunet!pcad!eddy     | 1 Technology Park Drive *
*                     | Westford, MA  01826     *

amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Paul Amaranth) (04/10/91)

In article <EDDY.91Apr9173657@pcad.uunet!pcad> eddy@pcad.uunet!pcad (Eduardo Juncosa) writes:
>What I want to know is, what advantages do I get from using X11R4 and Motif 1.1?

Well, the xterm client supports a reasonable Tektronix emulation mode.  The
(undocumented) -t arg on aixterm is not very pretty.  Also, if you are
trying to port an application that was written with R4 libraries, it's nice
to have them available :-)