[comp.unix.aix] rs6000 Hostname problem

edelson@ils.nwu.edu (Daniel Choy Edelson) (04/10/91)

I have a problem with an rs6000 that previously had a different
name.  Even though we have reset the hostname (within smit), and the
hostname command returns the new name...

When I rlogin or rsh to another host, it tells the other host the
old name.  Thus, to get appropriate permissions, I have to put the
old name in the remote machine's .rhost and hosts.equiv files.

Does anyone know why the machine is still broadcasting the
old name?  (The old name has been removed from /etc/hosts, also).

Thanks.

---------
Danny Edelson   	Institute for the Learning Sciences
edelson@ils.nwu.edu 	     Northwestern University
(708) 491-3500                 Evanston, IL 60201

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (04/10/91)

In article <1320@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> edelson@ils.nwu.edu (Daniel Choy Edelson) writes:

>When I rlogin or rsh to another host, it tells the other host the
>old name.  Thus, to get appropriate permissions, I have to put the
>old name in the remote machine's .rhost and hosts.equiv files.

When you use rlogin, it does not broadcast the machine name - the
remote system gets the IP address from the connection request and
looks up the name by address. So, it would seem that the problem you
are having has to do with the remote machine still having the old
name recorded somewhere - either in its hosts table or in a nameserver.

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu

marc@watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander) (04/10/91)

In article <1320@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> edelson@ils.nwu.edu (Daniel Choy Edelson) writes:

>I have a problem with an rs6000 that previously had a different
>name.  Even though we have reset the hostname (within smit), and the
>hostname command returns the new name...

>When I rlogin or rsh to another host, it tells the other host the
>old name.  Thus, to get appropriate permissions, I have to put the
>old name in the remote machine's .rhost and hosts.equiv files.

>Does anyone know why the machine is still broadcasting the
>old name?  (The old name has been removed from /etc/hosts, also).

It doesn't work that way.  The "other" machine gets what it thinks is
the host name by looking up your machine's ip address in the "other"
machine's /etc/hosts or asking the nameserver, if you are using one.
So either the nameserver or the "other" machine's /etc/hosts file is
the culprit.
--

Marc Auslander       <marc@ibm.com>