[comp.unix.aix] Need more inodes

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) (04/11/91)

I have a jfs (created with SMIT) that has little inodes on it (less than 10k)
and I'd like to have much more. Is there a way do do it dynamically, is jfs
the bad choice (info exploer says that inodes can't be specifies on jfs).

Any advice? Thanx.

--
Christophe Wolfhugel (on irc: Zolf)  |  Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA Lyon - Departement Informatique |  "Lapalisse au bordel: la duree de"

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.064139.16221@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr> wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:
|>I have a jfs (created with SMIT) that has little inodes on it (less than 10k)
|>and I'd like to have much more. Is there a way do do it dynamically, is jfs
|>the bad choice (info exploer says that inodes can't be specifies on jfs).

If I remember correctly, the number of inodes grows dynamically as need be.
You start off with a small allocation and then the jfs allocates them as
need be.

|>Any advice? Thanx.
|>
|>--
|>Christophe Wolfhugel (on irc: Zolf)  |  Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr

jerry

--
Jerry Heyman                         Internet : jerry@ajones.austin.ibm.com
PSP Development Environment Tools    VNET     : HEYMAN at AUSTIN

dcm@codesmith.austin.ibm.com (Craig Miller) (04/12/91)

In article <6585@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>In article <1991Apr11.064139.16221@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr> wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:
>|>I have a jfs (created with SMIT) that has little inodes on it (less than 10k)
>|>and I'd like to have much more. Is there a way do do it dynamically, is jfs
>|>the bad choice (info exploer says that inodes can't be specifies on jfs).
>|>

>If I remember correctly, the number of inodes grows dynamically as need be.
>You start off with a small allocation and then the jfs allocates them as
>need be.

	Jerry, I think you're remembering "the good ole days".... :-)

	The number of inodes is, I believe, always ~3% of the size of
	the filesystem.  You can only get more inodes by extending.

		Craig
--
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm@aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq

marc@watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander) (04/12/91)

I believe that the AIXV3 jfs uses the BSD inode scheme, in which I
fixed percentage of the file system space is preallocated to inodes.
When you grow the file system you get more inodes as well.  It
appears, from looking at several file systems, that the constant is
one inode for each 4k disk block in the file system.
--

Marc Auslander       <marc@ibm.com>

shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Melinda Shore) (04/13/91)

In article <MARC.91Apr12090853@marc.watson.ibm.com> marc@watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander) writes:
>I believe that the AIXV3 jfs uses the BSD inode scheme, in which I
>fixed percentage of the file system space is preallocated to inodes.
>When you grow the file system you get more inodes as well.  It
>appears, from looking at several file systems, that the constant is
>one inode for each 4k disk block in the file system.

Not so.  The BSD filesystem allows the administrator to specify how
many datablock bytes per inode.  On a Vax the default is 2048 bytes,
although your mileage may vary.  Also, you can't "grow" a filesystem,
as a general rule (you can if you have disk labels and you want to
extend the end, leaving the beginning cylinder where it is, and you
don't care about overwriting the filesystem that follows the one
you're growing).
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (04/15/91)

marc@watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander) writes:

   I believe that the AIXV3 jfs uses the BSD inode scheme, in which I
   fixed percentage of the file system space is preallocated to inodes.
   When you grow the file system you get more inodes as well.  It
   appears, from looking at several file systems, that the constant is
   one inode for each 4k disk block in the file system.

I too believe this to be so.

When the system was released, however, I was told by several sources
in IBM that inodes were dynamically allocated as needed.  This does
not appear to be the case (not according to my tests, at least);
though they do appear to be extended when file systems are extended.
This is a lot better than many *nix implementations, but not nearly as
good as the previous claim.