[comp.unix.aix] 3-rd party 8mm Drives

dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) (04/12/91)

A potential user brought in an 8mm drive.  We put it into the SCSI daisychain,
restarted the system, and used SMIT to say that there was another tape drive
on the stystem.  When we try to use it (eg, tar), the system keeps asking us
to mount volume 1 and hit enter.

Do I recall that there was some discussion on this a few months back?

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Thanks  ... Dave

jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) (04/12/91)

From article <1991Apr11.185853.17502@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, by dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub):
> A potential user brought in an 8mm drive.  We put it into the SCSI daisychain,
> restarted the system, and used SMIT to say that there was another tape drive
> on the stystem.  When we try to use it (eg, tar), the system keeps asking us
> to mount volume 1 and hit enter.

> Do I recall that there was some discussion on this a few months back?

Yes.  As it turns out, IBM decided the standard Exabyte PROM was a bit
crufty so they replaced it with their own.  A standard SCSI 8mm drive
will therefore not work with the RS/6000.  The two options 3rd-party
vendors have are: to write a device driver for their drive, or to make
their tape drive work like IBM's.

I went through all the trials of trying to get a standard 8mm drive to
work only to find out the information above.  At least you didn't buy
the drive...

I currently have a CCG 8mm drive and it is working well (they took the
second approach).

> Any help/comments are appreciated.

> Thanks  ... Dave

amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Paul Amaranth) (04/13/91)

In article <1397@cameron.egr.duke.edu> jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
 ... deleted stuff ...
>Yes.  As it turns out, IBM decided the standard Exabyte PROM was a bit
>crufty so they replaced it with their own.  A standard SCSI 8mm drive
>will therefore not work with the RS/6000.  The two options 3rd-party
>vendors have are: to write a device driver for their drive, or to make
>their tape drive work like IBM's.

The (oh no!) April 1 issue of _Unix Today_ has an ad on page 72 for
ICE Communications which talks about "low cost" add ons for the 6000,
including Exabyte and DAT.  I have no experience with this company,
but I thought the ad interesting enough to pull for my tickler file.
It looks like they wrote their own drivers.  The wording on the ad seems
a bit strange ..., but maybe that's just me.  Anyone know anything about
these folks?

--
Paul Amaranth  office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | WANTED: Clever saying

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (04/13/91)

jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:

> ...As it turns out, IBM decided the standard Exabyte PROM was a bit
> crufty so they replaced it with their own.  A standard SCSI 8mm drive
> will therefore not work with the RS/6000...

I think "crufty" is a little more interpretation than the situation
deserves.  Would it be too cynical to suggest that they only wanted to
support the drives they sell...and that the way to achieve this was to
make the drives they sell incompatible with other 8mm drives?
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

shah@cdsun.fnal.gov (Hemant Shah) (04/14/91)

	We are using Exabyte 8mm tape drive on our RS6000, IBM
 does not support any 3rd party 8mm drives. Right now we are testing beta
version of the driver supplied by IBM they are not yet officially supporting the
driver. It seems to be working fine but when we try to restore the disk, it
screws up inodes. We have to run fsck, and varyonvg (??) commands and then
everything is back to normal.

                                            #####  #####
Hemant Shah                                 #####  #####
Fermilab                               ######################
ACCESS/System Integration              ######################
                                            #####  #####
                                          #######  #######
Email address :                  ################  ################
                                 ##############      ##############
From VMS :                       ############          ############
SMTP%"shah@cdsun5.fnal.gov"
                                 ############          ############
From UNIX :                      ##############      ##############
shah@cdsun5.fnal.gov             ################  ################
                                          #######  #######
Voice : (708) 840-8071	                    #####  #####
                                       ######################
                                       ######################
                                            #####  #####
                                            #####  #####

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (04/15/91)

Dick Dunn writes:

   jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:

   > ...As it turns out, IBM decided the standard Exabyte PROM was a bit
   > crufty so they replaced it with their own.  A standard SCSI 8mm drive
   > will therefore not work with the RS/6000...

   I think "crufty" is a little more interpretation than the situation
   deserves.  Would it be too cynical to suggest that they only wanted to
   support the drives they sell...and that the way to achieve this was to
   make the drives they sell incompatible with other 8mm drives?

No, I'd say that's about the right level of cynicism to use regarding
one's vendor.  ;-)

But, I'm not sure if "make the drives they sell incompatible..." is a
fair description.  I think what IBM did was to sell a specific 8mm
drive with an AIX device driver for it.  Exactly as DEC, Sun, etc do.
If the drive or the device driver happen to be incompatible with the
Exabyte driver, that's unfortunate, but hardly conspiracy.

System vendors can't provide drivers for every XYZ add-on device on
the market, or even all of the popular ones.  Think about the *years*
it's taken Microsoft to get its driver act together in the Windows
market, where the requirement is much greater and the payoff is much
higher.  Third party hardware vendors are responsible for providing
drivers for the platforms they want to sell on.

Of course, IBM could make its customers happy by either providing a
stock Exabyte driver, or by working with Exabyte to develop one
Exabyte could provide.  That's good business practice--and mandatory
business practice in the UNIX/open systems world.  Hopefully IBM will
see this point; if they're having a little mental block at the moment,
bring it forcefully to their attention.  But I think if you look at
other vendors, or read the Sun, DEC, etc newsgroups, you'll see that
the "my vendor didn't provide the XYZ driver I need" story is pretty
common.