[comp.unix.aix] how to make info print to postscript

matt@karazm.math.uh.edu (Matt Emerson) (04/15/91)

I'd like some pointers on how to make Info print articles in PostScript
format so they'd look really nice.  The rs/6000 is set up to print to a
remote LaserWriter whose print queue resides on a Sun.

TFM seemed to indicate that I needed to set up some sort of thingy called
a virtual printer to inform the system of the printer's capabilities.  I can
lpr PostScript files with no problem, but can't talk info into printing
(other than in ugly courier).

And while I'm pestering everyone, how can I make troff produce PostScript?

If the answers to these questions are in the printed manuals, I apologize; we
don't have any yet. (Thank goodness for those bsd papers in /usr/lpp/bos!)

--
Matt Emerson
matt@karazm.math.uh.edu

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.230938.17820@menudo.uh.edu> matt@karazm.math.uh.edu (Matt Emerson) writes:
>I'd like some pointers on how to make Info print articles in PostScript
>format so they'd look really nice.  The rs/6000 is set up to print to a
>remote LaserWriter whose print queue resides on a Sun.
>
>TFM seemed to indicate that I needed to set up some sort of thingy called
>a virtual printer to inform the system of the printer's capabilities.  I can
>lpr PostScript files with no problem, but can't talk info into printing
>(other than in ugly courier).

I think someone worked this out a while back by using a printing
backend that piped the printer output through a better ascii->PS
filter prior to sending it to the printer... I haven't gotten around
to doing it yet, so I can't be more specific.

>And while I'm pestering everyone, how can I make troff produce PostScript?

Adobe transcript (psroff) comes with the ICRB update (3005). Of course,
Chris Lewis's freeware psroff now supports ditroff, and I suppose that
you could port GNU groff if you were so inclined, as well.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

david@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (David Berkowitz) (04/16/91)

In article <3770@d75.UUCP>, woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr14.230938.17820@menudo.uh.edu>
|> matt@karazm.math.uh.edu (Matt Emerson) writes:
|> >I'd like some pointers on how to make Info print articles in
|> PostScript
|> >format so they'd look really nice.  The rs/6000 is set up to print
|> to a
|> >remote LaserWriter whose print queue resides on a Sun.
|>
|> I think someone worked this out a while back by using a printing
|> backend that piped the printer output through a better ascii->PS
|> filter prior to sending it to the printer... I haven't gotten around
|> to doing it yet, so I can't be more specific.

Well I was wrong about the comet, but I think perhaps, maybe the orignal poster
was looking for formatted printing, not simply a single-font print that
happened
to come out of a PS printer.

I think what Matt is looking for is a "pretty print" function - one that
preserves
all that nice text formatting done in the text windows of InfoExplorer.

David Berkowitz  uunet!ibmsupt!david  (415) 855-4485 |
                                                     | Take off your shoes.
IBM Personal Systems Programming, Palo Alto          | for industry!
This does not represent an official IBM position.    |