[comp.unix.aix] xengine performance on RS6000

ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai Ng) (04/18/91)

We have tried out the xengine on our RS6000 model 530 running 3003.
The system is configured with 64meg of main memory and a 24-bit, 3D
and Z-buffer graphics subsystem.

The outcome, which ranges from 41 to 49, is extremely disappointing.
We also have a Silicon Graphics 4D/25G and a SUN 3/60. Both perform
about twice as good as the IBM.

However somebody has claimed that on a 550, the xengine runs at 333.
Has anybody tried it on their RS6000 ?

I suspect it could due to something not configured right in our system.
Any opinion welcome.

Kai S. Ng                     Informatics, National Research Council Canada
INTERNET ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca     M-60 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Canada    K1A 0R6
BITNET   kain@nrcvm01.bitnet  VOICE (613) 993-0240       FAX (613) 954-2561

andreess@mrlaxf.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.190136.17974@nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca writes:
>We have tried out the xengine on our RS6000 model 530 running 3003.
>The system is configured with 64meg of main memory and a 24-bit, 3D
>and Z-buffer graphics subsystem.
>
>The outcome, which ranges from 41 to 49, is extremely disappointing.
>We also have a Silicon Graphics 4D/25G and a SUN 3/60. Both perform
>about twice as good as the IBM.
>
>However somebody has claimed that on a 550, the xengine runs at 333.
>Has anybody tried it on their RS6000 ?

In my experience, straight X runs considerably faster on IBM's
NON-3D graphics subsystems.  I don't have any numbers to back this
up, but qualitatively, it's true.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen@uiucmrl

fsfrick@bones.lerc.nasa.gov (David Fricker) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.190136.17974@nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca writes:
>We have tried out the xengine on our RS6000 model 530 running 3003.
>The system is configured with 64meg of main memory and a 24-bit, 3D
>and Z-buffer graphics subsystem.
>
>The outcome, which ranges from 41 to 49, is extremely disappointing.
>We also have a Silicon Graphics 4D/25G and a SUN 3/60. Both perform
>about twice as good as the IBM.
>
>However somebody has claimed that on a 550, the xengine runs at 333.
>Has anybody tried it on their RS6000 ?
>
>I suspect it could due to something not configured right in our system.
>Any opinion welcome.

In a related vein, we've done some 'benchmarking' using local programs
on an RS6000 model 530 & various SGI Irises.  The relative performance
figures are _very_ strange.  On one CFD program doing a 2D grid, an
SGI Personal Iris (4D/25) outperforms my RS6000 model 530, while a
3D grid run has my model 530 outperforming a 4D/340VGX Iris! (The 340
means the iris has 4 processors.)  Both programs were written by the
same person & solve roughly the same problem--vortex sheet rollup--but
one program solves it in 2D while the other solves it in 3D.

Any ideas as to why these relative performance figures are so strange?

david fricker
David Fricker			|     phone: 216-433-5960
NASA Lewis Research Center     	|     M.S. 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         	|     email: fsfrick@bones.lerc.nasa.gov

jeffs@soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) (04/19/91)

In <1991Apr17.190136.17974@nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai Ng) writes:

>We have tried out the xengine on our RS6000 model 530 running 3003.
>The system is configured with 64meg of main memory and a 24-bit, 3D
>and Z-buffer graphics subsystem.

>The outcome, which ranges from 41 to 49, is extremely disappointing.
>We also have a Silicon Graphics 4D/25G and a SUN 3/60. Both perform
>about twice as good as the IBM.

>However somebody has claimed that on a 550, the xengine runs at 333.
>Has anybody tried it on their RS6000 ?

My bet is the 550 has the 2d card which has much better X performance,
and the 550 cpu *definitely* does crank.

BTW, my 4D/25G averages 177rpm running alpha IRIX 4.0 (which will
ship later this year).

jeffs@sgi.com

In <1991Apr17.202630.28470@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> fsfrick@bones.lerc.nasa.gov (David Fricker) writes:

>In a related vein, we've done some 'benchmarking' using local programs
>on an RS6000 model 530 & various SGI Irises.  The relative performance
>figures are _very_ strange.  On one CFD program doing a 2D grid, an
>SGI Personal Iris (4D/25) outperforms my RS6000 model 530, while a
>3D grid run has my model 530 outperforming a 4D/340VGX Iris! (The 340
>means the iris has 4 processors.)  Both programs were written by the
>same person & solve roughly the same problem--vortex sheet rollup--but
>one program solves it in 2D while the other solves it in 3D.

>Any ideas as to why these relative performance figures are so strange?

The 3d model probably is very floating point intensive, which is where
the RS/6000's really shine.  Does the application on the 4D/340VGX
take advantage of having multiple CPUS?  If not, it will have a
tough time keeping up to the 530.

jeffs@sgi.com