[comp.unix.aix] crashing 3003

roger@eccles.psych.nwu.edu (Roger Ratcliff) (04/23/91)

I crashed my rs6000 320 running 3003 with the following command
(aliased in .cshrc) 3 times today.  Now I dont do history for fear
of  ....

alias h            'history \!* | head -39 | more'

Could this be a bug, or is the flashing 888 a natural result of this.

berk@blenda.rice.edu (Murat Berk) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.212110.23579@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, roger@eccles.psych.nwu.edu (Roger Ratcliff) writes:

|> I crashed my rs6000 320 running 3003 with the following command
|> (aliased in .cshrc) 3 times today.  Now I dont do history for fear
|> of  ....
|>
|> alias h            'history \!* | head -39 | more'
|>
|> Could this be a bug, or is the flashing 888 a natural result of this.

It happens to me 5-6 times and I was afraid to use the same command for
a while. Also at first time I couldn't figure out why it crashes.
But now I don't have any problem. I think updates solved this problem
We are running at bos level 3.0018. And when we check the codes for error
from 3-digit display it gives Data Storage Interrupt - processor type.

Murat Berk

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.212110.23579@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, roger@eccles.psych.nwu.edu (Roger Ratcliff) writes:

|> I crashed my rs6000 320 running 3003 with the following command
|> (aliased in .cshrc) 3 times today.  Now I dont do history for fear
|> of  ....
|>
|> alias h            'history \!* | head -39 | more'
|>
|> Could this be a bug, or is the flashing 888 a natural result of this.

Hey...I posted a warning about this a few days ago...It looks like
IBM has a problem with using more than one pipe on a command line....

p.s. We have determined that this problem is not unique to ksh (got it
under csh), and are pursuing with ibm (problem number is 8x856 if you want
to open anouther one and reference this...).
--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona@iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.120309.14700@bellcore.bellcore.com> jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:
>Hey...I posted a warning about this a few days ago...It looks like
>IBM has a problem with using more than one pipe on a command line....

This is quite humorous (or rather would be, were it not so serious).
I just successfully took out a 320 running 3004 from ksh.  We're going
to 3005 this week; does anyone know if that fixes it?

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen@uiucmrl

jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) (04/23/91)

From article <1991Apr23.123257.565@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen):
| In article <1991Apr23.120309.14700@bellcore.bellcore.com> jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:
|>Hey...I posted a warning about this a few days ago...It looks like
|>IBM has a problem with using more than one pipe on a command line....

| This is quite humorous (or rather would be, were it not so serious).
| I just successfully took out a 320 running 3004 from ksh.  We're going
| to 3005 this week; does anyone know if that fixes it?

| Marc

I just tried it in 3002 (under csh) without problems.  Please post if
3005 fixes it.  I'm planning on upgrading as soon as it comes in...

-John