[comp.unix.aix] SHUTDOWN on AIX 3.1

moore@emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) (04/17/91)

I would like to give users on my system the ability to do a
'shutdown' from a $ prompt. I've tried setting up a script
which sets the users id to root and group id to system, and
then calls shutdown, but thi doesn't work. Can someone let
me know if this is possible, and if so how?

Thanks!

-Bryan
BRYAN R. MOORE          	    |   "Last night I had that same old dream
EMAIL: moore@uvm-gen.uvm.edu	    |    it rocked me in my sleep, it gave me
USMAIL: 12 Waybury Rd. Colchester,  |    the impression the sandman plays for
  Vermont 05446                     |    keeps..."   Larry Norman

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr17.130522.26957@uvm.edu> moore@emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) writes:
>I would like to give users on my system the ability to do a
>'shutdown' from a $ prompt. I've tried setting up a script
>which sets the users id to root and group id to system, and
>then calls shutdown, but thi doesn't work. Can someone let
>me know if this is possible, and if so how?

Offhand, I seem to recall that setuid shell scripts are not allowed
(won't function) under AIX 3.1 for security reasons, so you'll have to
write a C (or whatever) wrapper around it.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr17.130522.26957@uvm.edu> moore@emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) writes:
>I would like to give users on my system the ability to do a
>'shutdown' from a $ prompt. I've tried setting up a script
>which sets the users id to root and group id to system, and
>then calls shutdown, but thi doesn't work. Can someone let
>me know if this is possible, and if so how?

You may wish to look into a program called opcom, written by Carel Braam. It
allows members of a particular group to execute specified commands under
a different user and group ID. Which commands can be executed, what the
user/group ID will be and who can execute them is defined by a configuration
file which the system administrator maintains. For example:

/etc/shutdown : operator : root : daemon

specifies that members of group operator can execute /etc/shutdown and have
it run with real user ID root and real group id daemon.

We use it to provide certain functions to our operations staff - who do
not ordinarily have root access. It seems to work pretty well. I think you
can find it in the FTP archives on uunet.uu.net.

- Scott

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu