[comp.unix.aix] Mounting a floppy filesystem?

eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) (04/23/91)

Is it possible to turn a floppy disk into a mountable filesystem on an
RS/6000?  I tried:

# mkfs /dev/rfd0
# mount -p -o log=/dev/console /dev/fd0 /mnt

Only to be rewarded with "/dev/rfd0: device busy" or something similiar.
And why do I have to tell the mount command about log devices?

--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.194750.10431@panix.uucp> eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>Is it possible to turn a floppy disk into a mountable filesystem on an
>RS/6000?  I tried:

Wow... I know this one. Mountable floppy file systems are not
supported in AIX 3.1... They were in AIX 2.2.1/RT, I believe though
(trivia).
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

dcm@codesmith.austin.ibm.com (Craig Miller) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.194750.10431@panix.uucp> eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>Is it possible to turn a floppy disk into a mountable filesystem on an
>RS/6000?  I tried:

	No.  Filesystems on floppies are not supported.

># mkfs /dev/rfd0
># mount -p -o log=/dev/console /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
>Only to be rewarded with "/dev/rfd0: device busy" or something similiar.
>And why do I have to tell the mount command about log devices?

	AIXV3 uses a "Journaled Filesystem" that requires a log to track
	changes to the filesystem meta-data (inodes, directories, etc).
	This log must be on the same volume group as the filesystem
	in question (this alone makes filesystems on floppies hard).

	If enough customers express an interest in this, this will, perhaps,
	be offered in a later release.

	If this is very important to you, submit a defect.
--
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm@aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq