[comp.unix.aix] How do I change fs block size?

bglenden@polaris.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) (05/03/91)

How do I change the block size on a filesystem? I have a partition for
usenet news and the default block size is wasting a lot of space. I
might need to bump up the number of inodes as well. Thank you.

Brian

dcm@codesmith.austin.ibm.com (Craig Miller) (05/04/91)

In article <BGLENDEN.91May3115815@polaris.cv.nrao.edu> bglenden@polaris.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

>How do I change the block size on a filesystem? I have a partition for
>usenet news and the default block size is wasting a lot of space. I
>might need to bump up the number of inodes as well. Thank you.
>
>Brian

	Which version of AIX are you talking about?

	If you're talking about AIXV3, the answers are (a) no and (b) no. :-)

	Eg, you cannot change the block size.  4K is it.  And, the only way
	to bump up the number of inodes is to extend the filesystem (which
	will give you more data blocks and more inodes).  You cannot increase
	the number of inodes without increasing the size of the filesystem.

	Inodes will always occupy 3% of the filesystem's total size.
--
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm@aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq