jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) (05/03/91)

From article <91122.124713CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, by CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU:
> Has anyone received the update 3005?
>
> Ching Shih
> shih@cithex.bitnet
> shih@cithe1.cithep.caletch.edu

I, for one, haven't.  I talked with my SE this morning and she's checking
on it for me...  Supposedly IBM was supposed to finish shipping on April
26th (last Friday), so I think it should have gotten here by now.  I did
receive the latest copy of Personal GraPHIGS (which, of course, we don't
use)...

-John

fsfrick@bones.lerc.nasa.gov (David Fricker) (05/06/91)

In article <1418@cameron.egr.duke.edu> jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
>From article <91122.124713CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, by CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU:
>> Has anyone received the update 3005?
>>
>> Ching Shih
>
>I, for one, haven't.  I talked with my SE this morning and she's checking
>on it for me...  Supposedly IBM was supposed to finish shipping on April
>26th (last Friday), so I think it should have gotten here by now.  I did
>receive the latest copy of Personal GraPHIGS (which, of course, we don't
>use)...

Neither have I.  Our local office has said that the shipping will end by
10 May now.  They have no idea what delayed the shipping for two weeks.
The amazing part is, you can request the update from Software Defect Support
and get it the next day.

Of course, the xlf v2 fortran requires AIXv3.1.5 and we got the fortran tapes
weeks ago!  IBM (collective bureacracy, that is), you screwed up again.

David Fricker			|     phone: 216-433-5960
NASA Lewis Research Center     	|     M.S. 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         	|     email: fsfrick@bones.lerc.nasa.gov

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (05/07/91)

In article <1418@cameron.egr.duke.edu> jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
>From article <91122.124713CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, by CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU:
>> Has anyone received the update 3005?
>
>I, for one, haven't.

Haven't seen it here, either.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM

rel@mtu.edu (Robert E. Landsparger) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.185216.23421@nmt.edu>, rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:
|> In article <1418@cameron.egr.duke.edu> jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
|> >From article <91122.124713CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, by CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU:
|> >
|> >I, for one, haven't.
|>
|> Haven't seen it here, either.
|> --

Hasn't reached the Upper Peninsula of Michigan yet, but then again not
many things do.

| Robert E. Landsparger (rel@mtu.edu) - Computing Technology Services
| Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI 49931	(906) 487-2110
| The above comments do not always represent those of my employer.
+

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (05/08/91)

I called IBM Support yesterday.  I have 3005 today.

If you didn't get it, and you want it, *ask*.
--
Brand X Industries Sentient and Semi-Sentient Being Resources Department:
        Because Sometimes, "Human" Just Isn't Good Enough [tm]

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (05/08/91)

In article <2826DF67.4178@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>I called IBM Support yesterday.  I have 3005 today.
>
>If you didn't get it, and you want it, *ask*.

This is true - defect support will usually get you the update overnight.
However, at least with the 3003 update, the package was different from
what was FINALLY autoshipped to me. Both the instructions and media were
different - what defect support send me did not include the new boot
disks which have the updatep I need (so that I don't have to buy a new
disk) or the supplemental update diskettes. In addition, it took them
two tries to get it to me on the right media. Just when I was about to
explode and light into someone real good, our autoshipped 3003 updates
appeared - 3 weeks after the published completion date.

The published completion date for autoship on the original 3.1.5 announcement
was April 26th. Well, that has long since passed. One of our users has
called defect support and gotten the tapes - but we have about 30+
systems in various departments (and with various administrators).
If autoshippment worked right, things would be alot easier for us and I
am sure that defect support could spend more time helping to solve problems
and less doing the job of media distribution.

I know this sounds real critical, but I have to say that this is one of
the few things I don't like about IBM. I think (hope) most of it will
get fixed as the RS6000 product line and its support structures mature.
I do have one suggestion, however, for the folks who make these releases:
SLOW DOWN. We got our machines in October 90...since then there have
been 3 cumulative updates and 2 supplemental updates. Each time I
get the last of our machines updated (I personally have 5 to take care
of), its time for another update. Yes, I have ignored some updates just
to keep my sanity, but I don't like to do this.

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (05/08/91)

In article <28447@hydra.gatech.EDU>, scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
|> In article <2826DF67.4178@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
|> >I called IBM Support yesterday.  I have 3005 today.
|> >
|> >If you didn't get it, and you want it, *ask*.
|>
|> The published completion date for autoship on the original 3.1.5 announcement
|> was April 26th. Well, that has long since passed.

   IBM's marketing/CE/SE's should have been able to tell you that shipment
has stopped to fix bugs found in the 3.1.5 version shipped as pre-loads.

|> I know this sounds real critical, but I have to say that this is one of
|> the few things I don't like about IBM. I think (hope) most of it will
|> get fixed as the RS6000 product line and its support structures mature.
|> I do have one suggestion, however, for the folks who make these releases:
|> SLOW DOWN. We got our machines in October 90...since then there have
|> been 3 cumulative updates and 2 supplemental updates. Each time I
|> get the last of our machines updated (I personally have 5 to take care
|> of), its time for another update. Yes, I have ignored some updates just
|> to keep my sanity, but I don't like to do this.

   I hate to differ, but.......Being involved in a large scale development
shop with 100's of users, it would be next to impossible to manage 100's of
patches, each one being different (Yeah...I know...I had asked IBM for single
fixes before...but I had a different reason in mind). The complaint that I
have is that IBM does not publish information on non-mandatory upgrades. Many of
the bugs we were looking at were fixed in the 2004 release (which no one knows about until someone calls defect support. The I end up trying to figure out which problems were fixed in that release, and which one I still need to report and get single fixes for.......

|> - Scott
|> --
|> This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
|> Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu
|> Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
|> Office of Information Technology, Technical Services

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona@iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (05/09/91)

In article <28447@hydra.gatech.EDU> scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:

>I know this sounds real critical, but I have to say that this is one of
>the few things I don't like about IBM. I think (hope) most of it will
>get fixed as the RS6000 product line and its support structures mature.

Hear, hear! Sun is having this problem, too. My 4.1.1 release tapes trickled
in for three architectures over a period of three months after the release
date!

>I do have one suggestion, however, for the folks who make these releases:
>SLOW DOWN. We got our machines in October 90...since then there have
>been 3 cumulative updates and 2 supplemental updates.

I can't second this heartily enough. A release practically every month is
*ridiculous*. Can't you get it stable enough to reduce this to every 3
months - or even 6 months? Please? Patch the bugs, yes, don't make a new
release for each one.
--

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (05/09/91)

In <2826DF67.4178@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>I called IBM Support yesterday.  I have 3005 today.

>If you didn't get it, and you want it, *ask*.

What he said.

I called my SE, mumbled something about 3005, he ordered it for me,
I got it next day.  Bad tape.  Oh, well.  Call Defect Support.
Next day, *poof* there's a new one.

Every once in a while they get it right.

Austin developers: keep up the good support!  It's nice to be able to
   talk to the guys that wrote it....

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu
There are no dress rehersals.  We ARE professionals, and this IS the Big Time.

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.153901.21973@bellcore.bellcore.com> jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:

>   IBM's marketing/CE/SE's should have been able to tell you that shipment
>has stopped to fix bugs found in the 3.1.5 version shipped as pre-loads.

Yea, well mine just shrugged and said that there was probably nothing in
the update that was significant for our application. This was true, we aren't
getting XLF V2 until it goes on HESC and we have adobe transcript already.
However, he didn't tell me that it had been held up due to bugs.

Come to think of it, wasn't this the reason for the delay in 3003 updates?
Sounds like IBM is not doing enough pre-release testing - could it be that
they are pushing updates out the door too fast to do sufficient testing?
Of course, I probably shouldn't be too upset about this (I'm not, but
tone of voice isn't represented in the ASCII character set) because I
would probably jump up and down if there were a bug I found and was told
"fixed in the next release due out in 3 months."

I cannot tell at this point which is worse - getting updates every two
months, or getting them  every six months.

- Scott
--

geoff@ugc.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.153901.21973@bellcore.bellcore.com> jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:

>   I hate to differ, but.......Being involved in a large scale development
>shop with 100's of users, it would be next to impossible to manage 100's of
>patches, each one being different (Yeah...I know...I had asked IBM for single
>fixes before...but I had a different reason in mind). The complaint that I
>have is that IBM does not publish information on non-mandatory upgrades. Many of
>the bugs we were looking at were fixed in the 2004 release (which no one knows >about until someone calls defect support. The I end up trying to figure out
>which problems were fixed in that release, and which one I still need to
>report and get single fixes for.......

	Sounds like my conversation with IBM today.

1) Why can't they provide a list of what is fixed by this update only.
   I don't need a 50 page listing of problem numbers and short description
   over the life of AIX 3.1 I do need to know if the update is worth applying
   immediately.

2) Why can't they auto ship all of these updates to their customers. I find
   it frustrating to have a machine go down flashing 888 to be told that it
   is possibly an old problem that has already been fixed I just need to get
   the latest update.

3) Why aren't these update tapes sent out as loadable tape format ???

Geoff Coleman
UGC Consulting Ltd.