[comp.unix.aix] name of RS6000 processor?

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (05/07/91)

Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

guidry@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David A Guidry) (05/07/91)

In article <khaw.673569511@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
>Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
>CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?

In development they were referring to the processor as the "Romp II"
because its MIPS romped all over anything in the market.

Dave
--
David A. Guidry      |  empire: guaranteed to      | Unfortunately, we did not
Student Consultant   |  lower your GPA by 2 pts    | realize that he was stupid

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (05/07/91)

In article <khaw.673569511@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
>Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
>CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?

Well as far as IBM is concerned, the RISC System/6000 should never be
referred to as the RS/6000 due to other companies trademarks. But
anyway, the press as well as around IBM generally refer to the
processor architecture as the POWER (Performance Enhanced With
Enhanced RISC) architecture or sometimes with the various internal
codenames stretching back to the old Americas research project.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

news@inews.intel.com (news accounting id) (05/07/91)

With Enhanced RISC).
(408) 765-4277; MS SC3-36, 3065 Bowers Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95052

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev6!mfineman
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/07/91)

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
>>Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
>>CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?

This is what my RS-6000 has to say for itself:

$ uname -m
000008113000

My 386 box running SCO Unix says:

$ uname -m
i386

From this, I conclude that whoever invented the RS/6000 must have come
from MIT.  After all, everything at MIT has a number rather than a name.
(This isn't really true:  most classroom buildings _do_ have a name.
But everyone there uses numbers:  "My 6.013 class is in 56-100 at
14:00" translates into "My electrodynamics I class is in room 100 of
the Green building at 2pm.")

;-)

-rich

marc@mercutio.ultra.com (Marc Kwiatkowski {Host Software-AIX}) (05/08/91)

In article <khaw.673569511@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:

>   Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
>   CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?

I believe the answer you're looking for is the "SGR XX64 processor"
Where "XX" is the speed of the model.  For example, the 30MHz
model 540 has an SGR 3064, while the 25 MHz 530 has an SGR
2564.  The model 520 has an SGR 2032.  This is a 20 MHz processor
with a 64b internal memory-cache line, as opposed to the 128b cache
lines of the XX64 processors.

I don't know what SGR stands for.

	Marc P. Kwiatkowski			Ultra Network Technologies
	Internet: marc@ultra.com		101 Daggett Drive
	uucp: ...!ames!ultra!marc		San Jose, CA 95134 USA
	telephone: 408 922 0100 x249

	"Not long youth lasteth and old age hasteth,
	 now is best leisure to live in pleasure."
	Marc P. Kwiatkowski			Ultra Network Technologies
	Internet: marc@ultra.com		101 Daggett Drive
	uucp: ...!ames!ultra!marc		San Jose, CA 95134 USA

sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) (05/08/91)

 The true name of the RS/6000 processor is ....

P.O.W.E.R. = Performance Optimized With Enhanced RISC

  The place where I found this nugget is the RISC System 6000 Technology
book, (SA23-2619-00) it has articles on the Hardware Overview, Philosopies
of the architecture, Floating-Point Unit, DCUs, SCUs, Micro Channel, I/O,
Serial I/O, Self-testing, VLSI circuit design, Software overviews, compiler
design, and all the "goodness" of AIX.

Scott C. Kennedy (sck@watson.ibm.com)     | "All we are saying ...
Distributed High Performance Computing    |  is give peace a chance..."
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | John Lennon - Dec. 8, 1980

markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) (05/08/91)

In article <khaw.673569511@parcplace.com>, khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
> Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
> CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?

Wasn't this called the RIOS system?
--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,

vlcek@athena.mit.edu (James Vlcek) (05/12/91)

Good Heavens, I haven't seen so many errors in one post in a long
time.  Rich Braun notes:

  I conclude that whoever invented the RS/6000 must have come from
  MIT.  After all, everything at MIT has a number rather than a name.
  (This isn't really true: most classroom buildings _do_ have a name.
  But everyone there uses numbers: "My 6.013 class is in 56-100 at
  14:00" translates into "My electrodynamics I class is in room 100 of
  the Green building at 2pm.")

a) 6.013 is electrostatics, 6.014 is electrodynamics
                                ^

b) The Green building is building 54, not 56; you're thinking of
   54-100.

c) 6.013 and 6.014 typically aren't taught in 54-100, they don't have
   enough students.

d) No one *ever* says "fourteen hundred hours" at MIT, with the
   possible exception of the ROTC students.

Nonetheless, it is true that people here go by numbers much more
frequently than by names.  Occasionally visitors will ask where
Huntington Hall is, and we'll scratch our heads until they're so kind
as to add "oh, it also says `Room 10-250'" and then we can give them
directions.

...uh, it IS Huntington Hall, isn't it?  I mean, 10-250?

Jim Vlcek  (vlcek@caf.mit.edu  vlcek@caf.mit.edu)