[comp.unix.aix] saving windows layout

paulh@cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) (03/21/91)

With the motif window manager and X windows, AIX lets me organize
the initial layout of icons and windows using files .Xdefaults and
 .xinitrc, to some extent. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
how to tell xinit that

    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations
    o the info program and desktop program should initially be
      icons rather than open windows
    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
      machine during initialization

I'm using AIX 3.1 rev 3003 on a model 320 workstation with a
6091 display.

Excuse me if the question seems silly or the answer is obvious;
I'm new to AIX and windows.
This sort of thing is easy using SUN's window manager. I can't
get the info explorer to divulge how or whether it's possible on AIX.

Anybody?
--
Paul Hays                Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 3804                           3755 Riverside Drive

ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai Ng) (03/21/91)

In article <9423@cognos.UUCP>, paulh@cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:
|> However, I'm having trouble figuring out
|> how to tell xinit that
|>
|>     o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations
|>     o the info program and desktop program should initially be
|>       icons rather than open windows
|>     o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
|>       machine during initialization

For the last question, add the following line to your .xinitrc, for instance:

  aixterm -geometry 80x25 -T remoteHost -n remoteHost -e ksh -ic 'rlogin remoteHost' &

Of course, you have to prepare for rlogin (.rhosts, etc.).

Kai S. Ng                     Informatics, National Research Council Canada
INTERNET ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca     M-60 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Canada    K1A 0R6
BITNET   kain@nrcvm01.bitnet  VOICE (613) 993-0240       FAX (613) 954-2561

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/21/91)

In article <9423@cognos.UUCP> paulh@cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:
>With the motif window manager and X windows, AIX lets me organize
>the initial layout of icons and windows using files .Xdefaults and
> .xinitrc, to some extent. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
>how to tell xinit that

Well some of this is handled by .Xdefaults...

>    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations

Don't use mwm, but these lines in ~/.Xdefaults might do it:
Mwm*xclock*clientDecoration: -all
Mwm*xbiff*clientDecoration: -all

>    o the info program and desktop program should initially be
>      icons rather than open windows

I don't think it is possible with info, but you can invoke Xdesktop
with "xdt -iconic" or set the resource in ~/.Xdefaults.

>    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
>      machine during initialization

add:
aixterm -e 'rlogin hostname -l userid' &
or something to that effect in your ~/.xinitrc file...

It might be worthwhile getting one of the OSF books on Motif if you
want to know more about using mwm.
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

richp@locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) (03/21/91)

In article <9423@cognos.UUCP> paulh@cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:
>With the motif window manager and X windows, AIX lets me organize
>the initial layout of icons and windows using files .Xdefaults and
> .xinitrc, to some extent. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
>how to tell xinit that
>
>    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations

These are mwm resources.  In your .Xdefaults file, use:

Mwm*XClock.clientDecorations:  -all
Mwm*XBiff.clientDecorations:   -all

>    o the info program and desktop program should initially be
>      icons rather than open windows

xdt -iconic seems to work ok.

>    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
>      machine during initialization

aixterm -e rsh hostname

>Excuse me if the question seems silly or the answer is obvious;

Excuse my answering these questions without the benefit of an RS/6000.
Is xinit a shell script or a binary under AIX 3.1 ?  If it's a script
(yech) you can copy it and edit to your hearts desire.  If it's the
original xinit binary, you can create a shell script that does all your
startup work for you and type "xinit /bin/sh scriptName".  Just make
sure that the last thing in the script doesn't exit, because your X
session will end too.

>I'm new to AIX and windows.
>This sort of thing is easy using SUN's window manager. I can't
>get the info explorer to divulge how or whether it's possible on AIX.

>Paul Hays                Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707

Rich
--
                  Richard Pettit         Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp@locus.com

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (03/22/91)

In article <3684@d75.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:
>In article <9423@cognos.UUCP> paulh@cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:

>>With the motif window manager and X windows ...
>>    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations

>Don't use mwm, but these lines in ~/.Xdefaults might do it:
>Mwm*xclock*clientDecoration: -all
>Mwm*xbiff*clientDecoration: -all

Try -titlebar instead of -all if you want to keep the frames.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

robin@pensoft.UUCP (Robin Wilson) (03/27/91)

In article <9423@cognos.UUCP> paulh@cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:
>With the motif window manager and X windows, AIX lets me organize
>the initial layout of icons and windows using files .Xdefaults and
> .xinitrc, to some extent. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
>how to tell xinit that
>
>    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations

Use the "clientDecoration" setting for MWM in the .Xdefaults file.
the following lines should work:

	mwm*xbiff*clientDecoration: none
	mwm*xclock*clientDecoration: none

>    o the info program and desktop program should initially be
>      icons rather than open windows

Sorry, thats the way they work.  If anybody else has any ideas, please
inform the net.

>    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
>      machine during initialization

aixterm -e rlogin <machine>   # ???

or

xhost + <machine>
rsh <machine> "xterm -display <your_machine>:0"

(this assumes that you have a .rhosts file on the remote machine that
allows rsh to work.)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |

graeme@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Graeme Moffat) (04/03/91)

robin@pensoft.UUCP (Robin Wilson) writes:

>>    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
>>      machine during initialization

>aixterm -e rlogin <machine>   # ???

When I try this, I get:
1363-000 Aixterm: The aixterm command cannot run the rlogin <host> command
	 Check path name and permissions
and after a short delay, the window closes.
But just opening a window, then typing 'rlogin <host>', works fine
Any ideas?
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat@aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits

freese@dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com ("Bradley T. Freese") (05/15/91)

graeme@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Graeme Moffat) writes:

> >aixterm -e rlogin <machine>   # ???
>
> When I try this, I get:
> 1363-000 Aixterm: The aixterm command cannot run the rlogin <host> command
>          Check path name and permissions
> and after a short delay, the window closes.
> But just opening a window, then typing 'rlogin <host>', works fine
> Any ideas?

Only ideas.  Under ksh or bsh, try

    $type rlogin

This should return "rlogin is /usr/ucb/rlogin".  Next, try

    $ls -l /usr/ucb/rlogin

This should return "-r-sr-xr-x   1 root  bin ...".  If you pass these
tests, I am out of suggestions.