[comp.unix.aix] Stupid Question

freese@dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com ("Bradley T. Freese") (05/15/91)

len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

> Given that I have ordered all the manuals for AIX,and my terminal
> works terribly with infoexplorer, and I am trying to administer a
> machine 1000 miles away could someone answer a really stupid question?
>
> How does one set the hostname/uname permanently in AIX 3?
>
> Sigh.. Now I have done it.

I disagree -- this is not a stupid question.  First, a pointer:  look
at /etc/rc.net.

Next, the easy ones:
/bin/hostid '<name>'
/bin/uname -S '<uname>'

Last, the hard one.  To set the hostname, use one of:
'smit', "Communications...", "TCP/IP", "Minimum...", "<netdev>",
	and fill in the hostname; or,
The 'smit' method is easy to use if your arrow keys work.  It just builds/
calls the equivalent 'mktcpip' command.  The command /bin/hostname still
exists and will work for the current session, but it does not update
the ODM database.  If you use 'mktcpip' directly, be careful of the shell
intrepreting characters.