[comp.unix.aix] HP-2000 Laser Printer through serial port...

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (04/16/91)

  Hi! again folks ....

 Scenario :

 An RS/6000 with serial port, an HP-2000 Laser Printer :-)

 We are having problems to make this work fine.....

 Anybody of you who has sucesfully done that, please mail me ....

 I will thank you !!!

NOTE : Laser Printer is attached to RS via rs-232 (serial port)

Jose A. Vela A.
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

csko@cybaswan.UUCP (y w ko) (04/17/91)

Hi,
	Does anyone know how to configure a Virtual printer to drive a
narrow carriage Epson parallel printer? I've been using the basic
Other Parallel Printer setup and it doesn't work well if you
have long lines.

	Specifically, if you have a line longer than 80 chars, it does
manage to wrap after the 80th char properly. But, the first char printed
on the following line becomes the 82nd char rather than the 81st.

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

								ywko

freese@dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com ("Bradley T. Freese") (05/15/91)

csko@cybaswan.UUCP (y w ko) writes:

> Hi,
>         Does anyone know how to configure a Virtual printer to drive a
> narrow carriage Epson parallel printer? I've been using the basic
> Other Parallel Printer setup and it doesn't work well if you
> have long lines.
>
>         Specifically, if you have a line longer than 80 chars, it does
> manage to wrap after the 80th char properly. But, the first char printed
> on the following line becomes the 82nd char rather than the 81st.

I tried this with a line width of 40 and had good results.  I recommend
using 'smit', "Spooler...", "Manage Local...", "Manage Local...",
"Virtual Printers", "Change/Show...".  Select the printer in question
and check the values for "_w" and "_L".  I set mine to '_w=40' and
'_L=+' and the printer cut lines over 40 characters in two.  I used the
"Other Parallel Printer" setup when I defined the printer.