[comp.unix.aix] Terminal Emulators/ Virtual Terminals

root@hanys.UUCP (Wayne Daley) (04/23/91)

 We have just installed a new rs6000 running AIX 3.1, our situation requires
setting up several PC 386 machines as direct connections.  The problem I'm
experiencing is that I haven't found an emulator that will allow multiple
virtual terminals on a dumb terminal or even if AIX 3.1 supports this.

	Another problem  is that the terminfo terminal types present
(ie vt100, vt220) either don't support all funstion keys or line drawing
characteristics.  This problem has happened trying to run SMIT from
one of the direct connected PC's.

	If anyone has any suggestions that may help, they wouyld be greatly
appreciated.
Thanx in advance,
Wayne Daley
MAIL: uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!hanys!root

tex@bigtex.austin.ibm.com (05/07/91)

>  We have just installed a new rs6000 running AIX 3.1, our situation requires
> setting up several PC 386 machines as direct connections.  The problem I'm
> experiencing is that I haven't found an emulator that will allow multiple
> virtual terminals on a dumb terminal or even if AIX 3.1 supports this.

Take a look at MultiView from JSB.  It runs on the RT and PS/2 and I
think it runs on the 6000 as well.  It is a windowing tool for ASCII
terminals.

Glen 'Tex' Chalemin		Voice:  512-838-4673 or t/l 678-4673
IBM AWD-Austin/2830             Fax:    512-838-4851 or t/l 678-4851
tex@bigtex.austin.ibm.com  or  CHALEMIN@AUSTIN.IINUS1.IBM.COM

Yogi Berra to ballplayers...Our future is ahead of us

jra@bally.bally.com (John Anderson) (05/08/91)

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix

> > setting up several PC 386 machines as direct connections.  The problem I'm
> > experiencing is that I haven't found an emulator that will allow multiple
> > virtual terminals on a dumb terminal or even if AIX 3.1 supports this.
> >

> Take a look at MultiView from JSB.  It runs on the RT and PS/2 and I
> think it runs on the 6000 as well.  It is a windowing tool for ASCII
> terminals.

we use JSB  MultiView on  RT's (didn't want  it for our 6000's). there
seems to be some  problems  with emacs users  running multiview  - CPU
time gets  eaten  by an emacs  process (even  an idling  id), it  runs
away... i called JSB about it (posted stuff to emacs  groups as well),
the people at JSB  didn't know what emacs  or FSF meant... emacs users
here don't use multiview  anymore, since emacs has  shell, subwindows,
etc. anyway. other than the emacs problem, it works okay for us...
--
John Anderson
jra@bally.com

sasrhj@key.unx.sas.com (Bob Jones) (05/09/91)

In article <7331@awdprime.UUCP> tex@bigtex.austin.ibm.com writes:

>>  We have just installed a new rs6000 running AIX 3.1, our situation requires
>> setting up several PC 386 machines as direct connections.  The problem I'm
>> experiencing is that I haven't found an emulator that will allow multiple
>> virtual terminals on a dumb terminal or even if AIX 3.1 supports this.
>>

>Take a look at MultiView from JSB.  It runs on the RT and PS/2 and I
>think it runs on the 6000 as well.  It is a windowing tool for ASCII
>terminals.

Along these lines, I've tried using the terminal emulator called 'ate'
packaged with AIX 3.1.  It interprets CTRL-B for toggling file capture, and
CTRL-V for escaping to a main menu after establishing a connection.  Well vi
also uses these sequences, so when I'm editing files remotely,  vi never sees
any of these commands and I'm constantly toggling file capture.

Anybody know how to work around this problem?
--
Robert Jones             |
SAS Institute Inc.       | "My opinions are my own and not

freese@dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com ("Bradley T. Freese") (05/15/91)

sasrhj@key.unx.sas.com (Bob Jones) writes:

> Along these lines, I've tried using the terminal emulator called 'ate'
> packaged with AIX 3.1.  It interprets CTRL-B for toggling file capture, and
> CTRL-V for escaping to a main menu after establishing a connection.  Well vi
> also uses these sequences, so when I'm editing files remotely,  vi never sees
> any of these commands and I'm constantly toggling file capture.
>
> Anybody know how to work around this problem?

Look in your current or $HOME directory where you normally run 'ate'.
There should be a file called "ate.def".  Edit this file and at the
end of it you should find three lines that read something like:

CAPTURE_KEY  002
MAINMENU_KEY 026
PREVIOUS_KEY 022

These lines define the ASCII values of the three control keys in 'ate'.
By defaults, CTRL-B toggles file capture, CTRL-Z returns to the main
menu, and CTRL-V returns to the previous screen.  To change these,
simple edit the file.  Specify the decimal version of the ASCII value
that you want to do these functions.