[comp.unix.aix] troff -t on AIX3.1?

paw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) (04/16/91)

On all the other troffs I run, troff -t sends its (processed) output
to stdout.  IBM doesn't have the -t option, which makes it difficult
to use the same scripts that I run everywhere else.  I've got two
questions:
  - is there a way to duplicate the -t behavior of troff in the IBM
product that I've missed in the info page?
  - is this bug/feature going to be fixed/changed with 3005 (and psroff)?

Thanks.

--
Pat Wilson
Systems Manager, Project NORTHSTAR

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.202022.14455@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> paw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:
>On all the other troffs I run, troff -t sends its (processed) output
>to stdout.  IBM doesn't have the -t option, which makes it difficult
>to use the same scripts that I run everywhere else.  I've got two
>questions:
>  - is there a way to duplicate the -t behavior of troff in the IBM
>product that I've missed in the info page?
>  - is this bug/feature going to be fixed/changed with 3005 (and psroff)?

While "psroff -t" does indeed work with 3005, with ditroff "-t" seems
unnecessary unless I am missing it's function as it normally outputs
to stdout anyway which is why you need to use "troff -Tibm3812 -man
xwd.man|ibm3812|enq" to print to an IBM 3812 printer (enq to actually
send it to the printer), for instance...  Just try "troff filename"
and see what comes out...

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>In article <1991Apr15.202022.14455@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> paw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:
>>On all the other troffs I run, troff -t sends its (processed) output
>>to stdout.  IBM doesn't have the -t option, which makes it difficult
>>to use the same scripts that I run everywhere else.

>While "psroff -t" does indeed work with 3005, with ditroff "-t" seems
>unnecessary unless I am missing it's function as it normally outputs
>to stdout anyway which is why you need to use "troff -Tibm3812 -man
>xwd.man|ibm3812|enq" to print to an IBM 3812 printer (enq to actually
>send it to the printer), for instance...  Just try "troff filename"
>and see what comes out...

Well, you're right that "troff filename" prints to stdout, so perhaps
I can use this as a workaround.  Most troff's that I'm familiar
with (and that documented in the BSD manuals) output to the "phototypsetter"
*unless* one uses the -t option to divert to stdout.  Maybe the way
it's done here makes more sense, but it's _not_ the way it's historically
been done, which is a bit annoying when you're in a heterogenous environment...

Thanks.
--

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.132006.1015@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> paw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:
>Well, you're right that "troff filename" prints to stdout, so perhaps
>I can use this as a workaround.  Most troff's that I'm familiar with
>(and that documented in the BSD manuals) output to the
>"phototypsetter" *unless* one uses the -t option to divert to stdout.
>Maybe the way it's done here makes more sense, but it's _not_ the way
>it's historically been done, which is a bit annoying when you're in a
>heterogenous environment...

All ditroffs that I have seen behave this way, so you will encounter
this more and more as the old CAT troffs are retired. Anyway, blame it
on AT&T or else buy their DWB for all of your systems and then they'll
all behave this way... :-)

This is nothing compared to when I went from the old awk to nawk and
had to start figuring out what the incompatibilities that were killing
off my old scripts were...

freese@dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com ("Bradley T. Freese") (05/15/91)

paw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:

> On all the other troffs I run, troff -t sends its (processed) output
> to stdout.  IBM doesn't have the -t option, which makes it difficult
> to use the same scripts that I run everywhere else.  I've got two
> questions:
>   - is there a way to duplicate the -t behavior of troff in the IBM
> product that I've missed in the info page?
>   - is this bug/feature going to be fixed/changed with 3005 (and psroff)?

The closest documented option is '-a'.  However, this "sends a printable
ASCII approximation" to standard output.  I can't speak to the future
plans for 'troff', but you might want to contact your local IBM
representative and make your case for the change.  Market pressure works.

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (05/15/91)

paw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:
>On all the other troffs I run, troff -t sends its (processed) output
>to stdout.

Not that this helps you a lot but "troff -t" is old-style troff.
The AIX V3.1 troff is actually ditroff.  This basically means that
you need a different set of tools.

The upside is that ditroff was designed to have a backend and isn't
as kludgey as old-style troff was.  It even has descent documentation.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT speak for IBM.          IBM VNET: PAULCC AT AUSTIN
512/838-9748     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif