[fa.info-vax] VAX FORTRAN NAMELIST input

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (05/06/85)

From: lionel%eiffel.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Steve Lionel)

> Next, a user is having some trouble with NAMELIST input.  He is trying to
> input a hollerith, and wants to say something like "56Hblah blah blah blah...".
> He says this works on an IBM system (where it should probably stay!) but
> doesn't work on the VAX.  I'm not even certain what NAMELIST input is, but
> can anyone tell me whether this is supposed to work on the VAX or not?
> Can he only use character variables in NAMELIST input?

VAX FORTRAN NAMELIST input does not support Hollerith constants.  You'll have
to use a character constant.

By the way, VAX FORTRAN in VMS V4.0 implements a neat new feature in NAMELIST
where you can ask it to list the variables or both the variables and their
values while typing in NAMELIST input.  If you type ? wherever a variable
name or group name could appear, you'll get a list of the variables in the
group along with the group name.  This is handy when you have forgotten the
name of the variables or the group.  Typing =? at the same locations, followed
by RETURN, lists the values as well (just as a NAMELIST WRITE would do).  You
can then continue with entering NAMELIST data.  The =? is not documented,
unfortunately.  The prompting feature only works from an interactive
terminal and, like everything else in NAMELIST input, column 1 is ignored.

				Steve Lionel

Posted:	Mon 6-May-1985 16:40 EST
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"engvax!KVC@cit-vax",RHEA::DECWRL::"info-vax@SRI-KL"