[comp.unix.aix] 3005 bugs

Ross M. Dickson <DICKSNR@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (05/17/91)

Hi there.  I've been running 3005 for several weeks now, and though
I'm generally satisfied with it, I thought I'd drop on this
group a couple of bugs that have been minor irritants:

I run 'tn3270' to link to our IBM mainframe, and when I run it on
the bare hft (rather than on AIXterm) certain highlighted characters
do not show up -- Titles, PFkey settings and the like on some
programs.

Also, somewhat like the gentleman at Hypercube (Sorry, I've forgotten the name)
I find that occasionally mwm "changes state" so that I've got to click
on the window frame rather than the window in order to activate it.
One time it even changed back after behaving that way for a few minutes.
I've not been able to find anything I'm doing that correlates with this
change of behaviour.

I post this mainly to share information.  Any suggestions would be
welcome, but are not expected.

Ross M. Dickson,  Theoretical Chemistry Group, Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, Canada.     dicksnr@qucdn.queensu.ca

cmo@softpro.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) (05/18/91)

In article <91137.082334DICKSNR@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> DICKSNR@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Ross M. Dickson) writes:

>Also, somewhat like the gentleman at Hypercube (Sorry, I've forgotten the name)
>I find that occasionally mwm "changes state" so that I've got to click
>on the window frame rather than the window in order to activate it.
>One time it even changed back after behaving that way for a few minutes.
>I've not been able to find anything I'm doing that correlates with this
>change of behaviour.

This sounds a lot like the behaviour that has always plagued the RISC's
implementation of X. Could it be that the window manager behaves "normal"
if you have NumLock off and starts acting up when you turn NumLock on?
I have experienced this problem from the beginning up to now (We are
currently running 3003, 3005 hasn't arrived yet).

Just my experiences, your mileage may vary.
                                                                 Chris.

--
SOFTPRO doesn't speak for me, and I do not speak for SOFTPRO. So what?

                              Christian Motz, cmo@softpro.stgt.sub.org

root@uuneon.pub.uu.oz.au (/65535) (05/19/91)

In Article 363 of comp.unix.aix Ross M. Dickson writes:

>I find that occasionally mwm "changes state" so that I've got to click
>on the window frame rather than the window in order to activate it.
>One time it even changed back after behaving that way for a few minutes.
>I've not been able to find anything I'm doing that correlates with this
>change of behaviour.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the old 'numlock' problems
that mwm had. Early on, mwm would do funny things to the mouse buttons
if you had numlock set on on another virtual terminal and hotkeyed
to it on the hft, then returned to your X session. If you did it again,
the problem went away, till you did it again ... see if this makes
any sense in what you are doing.

Regards from Down Under.
--
/*
 *      Peter May

paulf@europen.cs.uit.no (Fink Paul) (05/22/91)

This may be the "well know" info problem.
Info does a xrdb if you run the graphics version of info.

Just find the script and comment out the line containing xrdb.