[comp.unix.aix] backup question

U233A@wvnvm.wvnet.edu (05/24/91)

     What ramifications are there in backing up the system
while users are still logged on?  In addition, we do not
unmount the filesystems prior to the backup executing.
It appears that under both of those circumstances, the filesystems
are being backed up ok.  I havn't had any problems so far in
restoring files that were backed up under these conditions.

I'd be glad for advice.  Thanks---/tony

merrick@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Tom Merrick) (05/24/91)

In article <91143.132238U233A@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> <U233A@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> writes:
>     What ramifications are there in backing up the system
>while users are still logged on?  In addition, we do not
>unmount the filesystems prior to the backup executing.
>It appears that under both of those circumstances, the filesystems
>are being backed up ok.  I havn't had any problems so far in
>restoring files that were backed up under these conditions.
>
>I'd be glad for advice.  Thanks---/tony

You could conceivably lose a large amount of data if you backup by inode.
This would happen if the subdirectory was being modified while the backup
process was going on.  If this subdirectory is corrupted, then all of the
files under it would be unaccessible.

I tend to do a backup of each file system by name using the following
command:

  cd /usr && find . -xdev -print | backup -iqpf /dev/rmt0.x

So if a file is being modified during the backup, that file is lost and not
the rest of the files in the subdirectory.

Tom Merrick
Ohio State University

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/24/91)

I use a script which pipes the output of find into cpio, but I'm concerned
about my ability to restore files in the event of a catastrophic disk
failure.  Suppose the root filesystem gets trashed; can I bring the system
back up from a tape produced in this way?

My system came pre-loaded.  How do I construct a bootable floppy which can
be used for booting if the system fails?  (I would RTFM, but IBM has a
policy of handing out manuals on disk rather than on paper.  In the event
of a catastropic failure, my manuals would therefore be unavailable,
unless I had some way of fishing them off a tape under a non-IBM operating
system.)

-rich

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (05/24/91)

In article <7627@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
!I use a script which pipes the output of find into cpio, but I'm concerned
!about my ability to restore files in the event of a catastrophic disk
!failure.  Suppose the root filesystem gets trashed; can I bring the system
!back up from a tape produced in this way?

No, but you can reinstall the system from a tape made with the backup
command - or with the backup system option from "smit startup.

!
!My system came pre-loaded.  How do I construct a bootable floppy which can
!be used for booting if the system fails?  (I would RTFM, but IBM has a
!policy of handing out manuals on disk rather than on paper.  In the event
!of a catastropic failure, my manuals would therefore be unavailable,
!unless I had some way of fishing them off a tape under a non-IBM operating
!system.)

Well, in this case, the procedure is in TFPM (The F Printed Manual) - its in
the AIX Installation Guide. This guide should be Operators Information binder.
Also, the 3003 patch set includes a set of boot disks.

-Scott

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu