[comp.unix.aix] Configuration of Xstaion under the 3005

CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (05/20/91)

Thanks for the reply, IBM. The information is very helpful.

Now when I try to boot up my Xstation 120, the following error
message will appear on the screen of the 120: "Could not connect
to fileserver." And then going nowhere. As I checked, the x_st_mgrd
server daemon is currently running on my server.

Do I still miss something? Do I need to tell the 120 from which server
to boot up? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for more information!

Ching Shih
shih@cithex.bitnet
shih@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu

sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) (05/21/91)

  Do you have the X-station configured for that host? If not run
/usr/lpp/x_st_mgr/bin/xconfig, and select (a)dd a terminal, and don't
forget to fiddle with the (g)ateway for the ring or network you are on.

Note: Not all sites require (g)ateway fiddling.

I had my default gateway set incorrectly, and my Xstation just sat there
as well.

Good Luck
Scott C. Kennedy (sck@watson.ibm.com)     | "All we are saying ...
Distributed High Performance Computing    |  is give peace a chance..."
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | John Lennon - Dec. 8, 1980

stevef@bony1.bony.com (Steve Faiwiszewski) (05/24/91)

In article <91139.171244CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>Now when I try to boot up my Xstation 120, the following error
>message will appear on the screen of the 120: "Could not connect
>to fileserver." And then going nowhere. As I checked, the x_st_mgrd
>server daemon is currently running on my server.
>
>Ching Shih
>shih@cithex.bitnet
>shih@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu

Are you running off thinwire or thickwire Ethernet?  We had a similar
problem affecting our thickwire Xstations when upgrading to 3005,
while the Xstations still using thinwire were fine (we're in the
process of converting our thinwire to 10BaseT).  It turns out that the SQE
(heartbeat) function needs to be turned on the tranceiver to work
properly with 3005.  This will be fixed in future release.

Hope this helps
                - Steve -

Internet: stevef@bony1.bony.COM  |          The Bank Of New York
bang : uunet!bony1!stevef        |        Reality is Nobody's Dream