[comp.unix.aix] installp or updatep using remote tape?

dwight@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Dwight Aplevich) (05/09/91)

It ought to be possible to use the installp or updatep commands to load
products from a tape located on a remote machine, but we can't seem to
get it to work, and TFM is not explicit on this.  Has anyone got these
commands to work this way?

Our configuration: RS/6000 320 AIX3.1 3003.
The tape is on a networked 320 with tape drive.

lopez@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Chris Lopez) (05/14/91)

dwight@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Dwight Aplevich) writes:

> It ought to be possible to use the installp or updatep commands to load
> products from a tape located on a remote machine, but we can't seem to
> get it to work, and TFM is not explicit on this.  Has anyone got these
> commands to work this way?
>
> Our configuration: RS/6000 320 AIX3.1 3003.
> The tape is on a networked 320 with tape drive.

My local rep said that there is no way to do this at the moment.  Being
able to do so would be worth ALOT to me.  (I wonder where we have to send
the chocolate chip cookies to get this implemented)

Chris Lopez
Institute for Learning Sciences
Northwestern University
lopez@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu

freese@dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com ("Bradley T. Freese") (05/25/91)

dwight@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Dwight Aplevich) writes:

> It ought to be possible to use the installp or updatep commands to load
> products from a tape located on a remote machine, but we can't seem to
> get it to work, and TFM is not explicit on this.  Has anyone got these
> commands to work this way?

No, this won't work.  Both commands only work with directly attached
devices.  However, you might want to consider setting up the machine
with the tape drive as a network-install server.  Basically, this
entails building install images on the remote machine, using NFS to
mount the directory containing the images, and installing from those
images.  For details, contact your local IBM representative and ask
for the "Flash" entitled "Installation Overview and Tips for AIX...."