[comp.unix.aix] AIX X-WIndows errata

eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) (05/24/91)

Urgh.  I was looking for the Xwindows version of dbx (it's on the install
tape somewhere, right?) and while installing all the things that said X11
the disk ran out of space and the install broke.  Began investigating the
software that had made it on their, ran a few Makefiles in the Xamples
directory, and then logged off.  When I signed back on two things were
different:

The font size for the title bars in all the X windows had been changed to
a smaller one.

I couldn't get the menu by clicking on the desktop anymore.  I also
couldn't get window menus by clicking on the top bar, only the upper left
corner widget would work.

Then I signed on as root and the windows worked as they did before I
was playing around.  What's going on here?  Can someone tip me off on
a way to restore sane defaults?  And how can I make sure the "xde"
desktop program is brought up when a user signs on?

           Sincerely,
               Befuddled X User

--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an

In article <1991May23.215744.2966@panix.uucp> I wrote:

>When I signed back on two things were different:

>The font size for the title bars in all the X windows had been changed to
>a smaller one.

>I couldn't get the menu by clicking on the desktop anymore.  I also
>couldn't get window menus by clicking on the top bar, only the upper left
>corner widget would work.

>Then I signed on as root and the windows worked as they did before...

I played around a little more -- when I sign on as root and invoke xinit,
my xwindows work as they did previously (large font window titles, menu
available when I click on the desktop background).  Furthermore, if I
sign on as J. Random User and then su to root, I have the the "right" font
and and the background menu.  But a normal user gets the small font and
can't get the background menu.

This smells like a protection problem, and I will be sniffing further.
Advice to shorten my search is welcome.

PS: cancel my previous inquiry about x-desktop, that much I figured out.
--

jackg@bony1.bony.com (Jacques M. Goldsmith) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May24.135459.9876@panix.uucp> eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>In article <1991May23.215744.2966@panix.uucp> I wrote:
>
>>When I signed back on two things were different:
>
>>The font size for the title bars in all the X windows had been changed to
>>a smaller one.
>
>>I couldn't get the menu by clicking on the desktop anymore.  I also
>>couldn't get window menus by clicking on the top bar, only the upper left
>>corner widget would work.
>
>>Then I signed on as root and the windows worked as they did before...
>

>This smells like a protection problem, and I will be sniffing further.
>Advice to shorten my search is welcome.
>
>PS: cancel my previous inquiry about x-desktop, that much I figured out.
>--
>Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
>cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an
>philabs!trintex!elr | 86 inch girth to LITHUANIA...
>+1 914 993 4737     |

do an 'xset q' when running as root and running as a lowly user ;-).
Pay special attention to the font path.  Make sure it's the same for
both users.  If they are, then you might indeed have a protection
problem.

        - Jack -

Internet: jackg@bony1.bony.COM  | There are only two places a 28 year old
bang : uunet!bony1!jackg        | can make half a million dollars:
    The Bank of New York        | Wall Street and dealing dope. - H. Ross Perot