[comp.unix.aix] Install an image backup onto a machine of different model

CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (05/27/91)

Has anyone successfully done this?

I have an RS/6000 320 running AIX 3.1.5. I made an image backup via
SMIT startup with the system backup option. Can I install this image
onto an RS/6000 530?

Thanks in advance for any informatin.

Ching Shih
shih@cithex.bitnet
shih@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu

jaime@excalibur.austin.ibm.com (05/29/91)

In article <91146.235414CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> From: CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
> Subject: Install an image backup onto a machine of different model
>
> Has anyone successfully done this?
>
> I have an RS/6000 320 running AIX 3.1.5. I made an image backup via
> SMIT startup with the system backup option. Can I install this image
> onto an RS/6000 530?
>
> Thanks in advance for any informatin.
>
> Ching Shih
> shih@cithex.bitnet
> shih@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu

This should work without any problems at all.  The use of the system
image tape from smit should transport across all machine types.

Jaime Vazquez			Voice:  512-838-4829 or t/l 678-4829
AIX Technical Support           Fax:    512-838-4851 or t/l 678-4851
IBM AWD-Austin/2830
6000:  jaime@excalibur.austin.ibm.com
InterNet: jaime@austin.vnet.ibm.com  or jaime%austin@vent.ibm.com
<Standard disclaimers apply.>

markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) (05/30/91)

In article <8012@awdprime.UUCP>, jaime@excalibur.austin.ibm.com writes:
> In article <91146.235414CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
> CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> >
> > I have an RS/6000 320 running AIX 3.1.5. I made an image backup via
> > SMIT startup with the system backup option. Can I install this image
> > onto an RS/6000 530?
>
> This should work without any problems at all.  The use of the system
> image tape from smit should transport across all machine types.
>
> Jaime Vazquez			Voice:  512-838-4829 or t/l 678-4829
> AIX Technical Support           Fax:    512-838-4851 or t/l 678-4851

The reverse of making 530 tapes to take to the 320 did not work for us.
Something about the internal hard disk controller on the 320.  Code for
that driver was not supplied with 530 build tapes.

Or at least that was the story were were told. :-)

We had to re-install on the 320 from system tapes sent for that machine
from Austin (or where ever they make install tapes).

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,

shaggy@kleikamp.austin.ibm.com (David J. Kleikamp) (05/30/91)

In article <963@airgun.wg.waii.com> markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) writes:

|>The reverse of making 530 tapes to take to the 320 did not work for us.
|>Something about the internal hard disk controller on the 320.  Code for
|>that driver was not supplied with 530 build tapes.
|>
|>Or at least that was the story were were told. :-)
|>
|>We had to re-install on the 320 from system tapes sent for that machine
|>from Austin (or where ever they make install tapes).

I don't know where you heard that, but the tapes send out of IBM (They
are actually shipped out of Boulder.) are not different for 320's or 530's
or any other specific model.  The same tape that installs on a 530 should
install on a 320 as well.

|>Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
|>Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
|>A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw@airgun.wg.waii.com
|>VOICE: (713) 963-2446		   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw
David J. "Shaggy" Kleikamp	dave@kleikamp.austin.ibm.com
The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!kleikamp.austin.ibm.com!dave

CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (05/30/91)

The installation of an image backup of an RS/6000 530 to an RS/6000 320
might NOT work, if the 320 has no enough disk space to hold the stuff
of the 530. Otherwise, it seems to work for me.

graeme@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz ( Graeme Moffat) (05/31/91)

CALT@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>The installation of an image backup of an RS/6000 530 to an RS/6000 320
>might NOT work, if the 320 has no enough disk space to hold the stuff
>of the 530. Otherwise, it seems to work for me.

That's fairly obvious, but you can be selective...
I use a 730 with 2x800Mb to produce an image for 320's with 320Mb.
I have worked out what I want on the 320's, and install only that on the
730.  Since the 730 has 2 paging spaces, I deactivate hd61 and temporarily
remove it from /etc/swapspaces. I update common config files, eg /etc/hosts
/etc/security/login.cfg..  Then I do a 'mkszfile', and edit .fs.size to be
the filesystem sizes that I want on the 320 (the're a wee bit smaller), then
run mksysb to a disk file (tape would also work, but I install the 320's via
the network). Using smit 'make system backup' will produce errors when
installing since the filesystems are too big to fit the smaller disk - the
file .fs.size is the first file on the install image and sets filesystem
size.  When that's done, I restore hd61 and install all the rest of AIX and
products onto the 730, making bff images in /usr/lpp.install in case I
decide that the 320's are missing something after all.
That's an overview, there's a little bit of detail missing *B^)

--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat@aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits