[comp.unix.aix] Has anyone gotten CAP 6.0 to work

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (06/06/91)

There are claims in the CAP 6.0 distribution from munnari.oz.au that it
works under AIX 3.1.5.  Yet it generates screen fulls of compile-time
errors.  We would like to use this software to print to PostScript printers
located on our LocalTalk networks.

Has anyone sucessfully ported CAP 6.0 to AIX3.1.5?  If so, can you let us
know how you did it and how you set up /etc/qconfig to make use of LocalTalk-
connected printers?

Are there any other solutions besides CAP 6.0?  (Cayman's GatorPrint crashes
the entire GatorBox when it receives printer packets from a Risc-System 6000).

Thanks.

--Tim

carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) (06/06/91)

In <11687@ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

>There are claims in the CAP 6.0 distribution from munnari.oz.au that it
>works under AIX 3.1.5.  Yet it generates screen fulls of compile-time
>errors.  We would like to use this software to print to PostScript printers
>located on our LocalTalk networks.

I don't know what your doing wrong but we've been using CAP from 3.1.1 to
3.1.4 and I see no reason why it will stop working for 3.1.5 .  I ported
CAP originally with very few changes and the next version supported
RS6000 boxes anyway.  Sounds like your using the wrong flags to
cc or something.

>Has anyone sucessfully ported CAP 6.0 to AIX3.1.5?  If so, can you let us
>know how you did it and how you set up /etc/qconfig to make use of LocalTalk-
>connected printers?

in qconfig
----------
* Laser Writer on level 3
cs_ps:
	up = TRUE
	device = dcs_ps
dcs_ps:
	backend = /usr/local/lpd/dcsps3

dcsps3
------
#!/bin/sh
cat $* | /usr/new/cap/papif -P cslw

We also use this solution for our printers hanging off of a terminal server.
The only difference id the utility used to communicate ( aprint instead of
papif , aprint is supplied with Annex TS)

>Are there any other solutions besides CAP 6.0?  (Cayman's GatorPrint crashes
>the entire GatorBox when it receives printer packets from a Risc-System 6000).

>Thanks.

>--Tim

Hope this helps somewhat , if only so that you don't condem the package
unjustly.

--
    Carl : Programmer (etc) with University of Tasmania
Internet : carl@cs.utas.edu.au || C.S.Lewis@cs.utas.edu.au