[fa.info-vax] IDTC for vax ra81s

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (05/15/85)

From: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

cc:info-vax@sri-kl.ARPA, mark@maryland.ARPA (tove??)

>Subject: IDTC for vax ra81's?
>
>DEC has a new beast called an Integrated Disk Tape Controller (or maybe
>its Tape Disk?), which sits on the SBI and includes a UDA50 analog for
>talking to RA81's.  It costs $18,000 but I think this includes the
>UDA50 cost and the tape controller cost.  This gets around the previous
>major disadvantage of the RA81: eating a unibus, and being limited to
>unibus speeds.  So I basically like and am thinking about ordering one
>on our 8600.  Can anyone shed any more rumors on this new little
>animal?  Thanks.
>        -mark

The basic 8600 package comes with one SBI and a UBA and an expansion box
intended for terminal and communications interfaces (DMZ32, DEUNA, etc).
It also has dedicated backplane space in the CPU cabinet for a 2nd SBI
interface with an associated UBA and enough unibus slots for a UDA50
plus a unibus tape controller (normally for a TU81 MSCP tape drive).

The IDTC consists of those circuit boards. There is nothing special
about any of the interfaces: the UBA is the same type used on a 780,
as are the UDA50 and tape controllers.

Selden Ball

Cornell University, LNS        NYNEX: (607) 256-4882
Wilson Synchrotron Lab        BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Dryden Road                     ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Ithaca, NY  14853