[comp.unix.aix] X,Y,Zmodem for AIX

wolf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Curt Coulter) (06/02/91)

I think that the Header explains it quite well.
I'm looking for something faster than kermit to use on aix running
on an IBM 3090-200(s i think).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

-Curt

wolf@aix.rpi.edu

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (06/02/91)

In article <g3qh1l_@rpi.edu> wolf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Curt Coulter) writes:
>I think that the Header explains it quite well.
>I'm looking for something faster than kermit to use on aix running
>on an IBM 3090-200(s i think).

What? Does your 3090 have COM ports :-} :-}? Seriously, what I mean is
that usually people access AIX/370 systems via the serial ports on a
PS/2 running in a TCF cluster with the 370 and so what you would want
is a 386 binary. Either that, or over the network from workstations.

In any case, what's wrong with the plain old rzsz package available from
the usual archive sites?? As far as I know it should just compile and
work. I had a simple little standalone xmodem program and it worked
without any modification. The only thing to watch out for, is that
the port you come in on is set 8N1 and not 7E1 or it won't work.

Disclaimer: I'm paid to hack the kernel, not to speak for the company.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

wjones@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) (06/03/91)

wolf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Curt Coulter) writes:

>I'm looking for something faster than kermit to use on aix running
>on an IBM 3090-200(s i think).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out xmodem 3.9 in comp.sources.unix, volume 23.  This program, which
also includes ymodem batch and related protocols, compiled and ran without
modification under AIX 3.1, using the SYSV alternative to getput.c.

There is also a version of zmodem in comp.sources.unix, volume 12.
This compiled successfully under AIX 3.1 with one minor modification.
The patch follows.  Change _IBMR2 to the appropriate symbol for AIX
on your 3090:

*** Save/rbsb.c	Sun Jun  2 10:31:21 1991
--- rbsb.c	Tue May 21 13:36:46 1991
***************
*** 215,221 ****
  #endif
  }

! #if defined(FIONREAD)
  #define READCHECK
  /*
   *  Return non 0 iff something to read from io descriptor f
--- 215,221 ----
  #endif
  }

! #if defined(FIONREAD) && ! defined(_IBMR2)
  #define READCHECK
  /*
   *  Return non 0 iff something to read from io descriptor f

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (06/07/91)

The RS/6000 with AIX 3.1 comes with xmodem.  Check the man page for it;
its user interface is different from the public-domain version available
on uunet.

I got a copy of xmodem v3.6 a few months ago and found it doesn't work
under AIX, at least with the system configured the way I have it.  A lot
of characters are apparently dropped; I can download files with a lot of
data errors, but I cannot upload them at all.  The xmodem supplied with
the system works a lot better, leading me to think the problem is not
with the modem configuration or the stty settings (8/N/1, 2400-baud).

Is xmodem v3.9 more reliable under AIX?  Our RS/6000 has the 8-port async
card.

-rich

wjones@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) (06/08/91)

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

> I got a copy of xmodem v3.6 a few months ago and found it doesn't work
> under AIX, at least with the system configured the way I have it.  A lot
> of characters are apparently dropped; I can download files with a lot of
> data errors, but I cannot upload them at all.

I had the same experience with v3.9, using the BSD version of getput.c.
After replacing it with getput.sysv.c, everything seems to work fine
(though I haven't tested it extensively).  My only modification was to
"#include <sys/termio.h>".

Warren Jones <wjones@nwnexus.wa.com>
(uucp: uunet!nwnexus!golder)