[comp.unix.aix] When will X11R4 come to the RS6000

mberkley@active.uvic.ca (Mike Berkley) (06/04/91)

> On 3 Jun 91 21:40:44 GMT, geo@george.austin.ibm.com said:

geo> If you are running version 3005 or later of the operating system
geo> and have chosen to load X11-R4 on your Xstation (a good choice
geo> IMHO) ....

Before I received the memory upgrade for the Xstation 120, I was
convinced that the thing was a boat anchor.  Almost everything I ran
would crash the thing and even a few xterms stood a good chance of
locking the Xstation up.  Since the memory upgrade, I've been running
X11R4 and I agree that it's a great choice.  tvtwm runs correctly now,
oclock is the right shape, (almost :-) nothing crashes the terminal, etc.

Now I would be really ecstatic if we could get X11R4 on the main
display.  Does anyone at IBM know when this will happen?

According to a note over in comp.windows.x, MIT will be releasing R5
to consortium members in July.  It would be nice to at least have R4
before R5 arrives.

Mike Berkley
University of Victoria
mberkley@sirius.UVic.CA

ici@crl.melco.co.jp (Mr. Toshinao Ishii) (06/06/91)

In article <MBERKLEY.91Jun4095403@active.uvic.ca> mberkley@active.uvic.ca (Mike  Berkley) writes:

 > According to a note over in comp.windows.x, MIT will be releasing R5
 > to consortium members in July.  It would be nice to at least have R4
 > before R5 arrives.

Does some one know whether AIX3.1 is supported in X11R5 ?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Toshinao Ishii

Mitsubishi Electric Corp. Central Research Lab.

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/07/91)

In article <ICI.91Jun6124349@loame03.crl.melco.co.jp>, ici@crl.melco.co.jp (Mr. Toshinao Ishii) writes:

|> In article <MBERKLEY.91Jun4095403@active.uvic.ca> mberkley@active.uvic.ca (Mike  Berkley) writes:
|>
|>  > According to a note over in comp.windows.x, MIT will be releasing R5
|>  > to consortium members in July.  It would be nice to at least have R4
|>  > before R5 arrives.
|>
|> Does some one know whether AIX3.1 is supported in X11R5 ?

Or better, does anyone with inside info know whether X Consortium has a plain
port for the POWER archecture or not?  If you do, PLEASE DO POST as this must
be of interest to world-wide RISC 6000 users.  [and I will be more than happy to
work overtime to get it built for our machines with a joyful face :-) ]

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

raj@pollux.geog.ucsb.edu (Richard A Johnson) (06/07/91)

I've heard rumors that X11R4 will be in AIX 3.2 and this may be out by around
september or so.  If it's true that X11R5 will be released in July, then in
september IBM will go from being 2 versions behind to being their usual 1!  :-)

By the way, I hear also that part of the delay in getting X11R4 out is getting
all of the IBM modifications into it.  Now, I can understand that supporting
3D hardware, IBM's graPHIGS library, their GL library, etc. would take a while
to do, but can we just maybe get a distribution of the basic X11R? stuff as
soon as THAT's working and then get an update of the rest later?  I would bet
that a LOT of people don't use the 3D stuff and simply want the standard MIT
X11R4 (and soon R5!) distribution running on their machine!

Just log me as yet another opinionated customer.

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/08/91)

In article <11908@hub.ucsb.edu>, raj@pollux.geog.ucsb.edu (Richard A Johnson) writes:

|> By the way, I hear also that part of the delay in getting X11R4 out is getting
|> all of the IBM modifications into it.  Now, I can understand that supporting
|> 3D hardware, IBM's graPHIGS library, their GL library, etc. would take a while
|> to do, but can we just maybe get a distribution of the basic X11R? stuff as
|> soon as THAT's working and then get an update of the rest later?  I would bet

Excellent idea!

|> that a LOT of people don't use the 3D stuff and simply want the standard MIT
|> X11R4 (and soon R5!) distribution running on their machine!
|>
|> Just log me as yet another opinionated customer.

Me too!  The plain MIT X is just fine as long as it R>3.  One more vote.