[comp.unix.aix] Talking to an RS/6000

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (06/05/91)

Okay, I've got a slight problem and am hoping someone out there
in RS/6000 netland can help me.

I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
I also have an IBM-PC/XT (running DOS 4.01) and dialup access to
an internet terminal server using Procomm Plus. I can connect to the
RS/6000 via the terminal server just fine now (I was able to connect,
but the connection would just freeze under AIX 3.1.3...looks like
that was fixed in 3.1.5) and do editing or whatever (the terminal
emulation works fine). I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
I've tried using the XMODEM supplied with AIX (I get the impression
its designed to be used under ATE when trying to connect the RS/6000
TO another computer using a serial line) which won't work. I get
"timeout" errors from Procomm - its apparently not getting any response
from AIX-XMODEM. I've also tried C-Kermit, but it gives me a message about
having trouble gaining exclusive access to a port and the Procomm Kermit
side timesout. I've used both XMODEM and C-Kermit for transferring files
through this same terminal server, but to different hosts on the internet.

Can someone suggest a way to do this on the RS/6000? Apparently I don't
have Kermit on the RS/6000 set up properly...can someone tell me how it
*should* be setup?

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|

rudy@chukran.austin.ibm.com (Rudy Chukran) (06/06/91)

> I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
> I also have an IBM-PC/XT (running DOS 4.01) and dialup access to
> an internet terminal server using Procomm Plus. I can connect to the
> RS/6000 via the terminal server just fine now (I was able to connect,
> but the connection would just freeze under AIX 3.1.3...looks like
> that was fixed in 3.1.5) and do editing or whatever (the terminal
> emulation works fine). I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
> I've tried using the XMODEM supplied with AIX (I get the impression
> its designed to be used under ATE when trying to connect the RS/6000
> TO another computer using a serial line) which won't work. I get
> "timeout" errors from Procomm - its apparently not getting any response
> from AIX-XMODEM. I've also tried C-Kermit, but it gives me a message about
> having trouble gaining exclusive access to a port and the Procomm Kermit
> side timesout. I've used both XMODEM and C-Kermit for transferring files
> through this same terminal server, but to different hosts on the internet.

The AIX xmodem version is a checksum only version.  If the PC xmodem
is trying to do a CRC xmodem, things will timeout when the PC
requests the first packet. (presuming you are pulling from RS to PC).
Check to see if Procomm is using CRC or checksum xmodem.

It could be that your serial port isnt set up.  What serial port are
you using on the 6000 and what is the stty parameters?

You mention
using a terminal server.  Is this terminal server attached via LAN and
uses telnet/rlogin to log in to the 6000?  If this is the case,
indeed AIX xmodem was not designed to be used over anything other than
a serial port, (really meaning it wasnt tested elsewhere) but
there shouldnt be anything to prevent it from working.
It does a conditioning ioctl to stdin/stdout write/reads everything
from stdin/stdout, and puts it back the way it was.
IBM AIX Porting Center  | RSCS: CHUKRAN at AUSTIN
11400 Burnet Rd.        | AWDnet: rudy@chukran.austin.ibm.com
Internal ZIP 2830       | internet: chukran@austin.iinus1.ibm.com
Austin, Texas 78758     | Voice: 512-838-4674  Tieline: 678-4674

fredrick@acd.uucp (Tim Fredrick) (06/11/91)

John.Burton@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (John Burton) writes:

>I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
>I also have an IBM-PC/XT (running DOS 4.01) and dialup access to
>an internet terminal server using Procomm Plus.
>I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
>
>Can someone suggest a way to do this on the RS/6000? Apparently I don't
>have Kermit on the RS/6000 set up properly...can someone tell me how it
>*should* be setup?
>
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| John Burton                                                        |
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

For a limited time you can anon ftp kermit from acd.ucar.edu (128.117.32.1).

We have a similar setup here.  Be sure that you are logging in with
Even Parity and 7 bits and have your terminal server set to the same (we have
an emulex terminal server).  For protocol transfers you should use the
bsd line discipline like this:

	stty disp bsd ; KERMIT COMMANDS ; stty disp posix

With that, kermit should work.

If you are using Procomm-Plus to connect, you should have 2.0 or greater & have
the file type set appropriately. (Press Alt-S, then P for Protocol, then K
for kermit options, and H for file type.  The file type should be binary or
text depending on what you want to transfer).

We included some shellscripts to help us, called sk and rk for "send kermit
file" and "receive kermit file".  They look like this:

-------------------------------------- sk ------------------------------------

#! /bin/csh
# ***************************************************************************
# *  sk - Send a kermit file.                                               *
# *                                                                         *
# *  This front end will send the given file in kermit format.  If there    *
# *  are two arguments, then the first is the local name and the 2nd is the *
# *  remote (desktop computer) name.                                        *
# *                                                                         *
# *  To Call:   sk [-b] unix-filename PC-filename                           *
# *  Flags:     -b == binary mode.                                          *
# *                                                                         *
# *  04/07/91 - Timothy Fredrick, (c) NCAR/ACD.                             *
# ***************************************************************************
set flg =
while ($#argv > 0)
    switch ($1)
	case -b:
	    set flg = -i
	    breaksw
	default:
            if ( $?sfile ) then
               set rfile = $1
            else
               set sfile = $1
            endif
    endsw
    shift argv
end

while ( ! -f $sfile )
   echo -n 'sk> Enter filename to send (q==quit): '
   set sfile = $<
   if ("$sfile" == "q") exit
   if ( ! -f $sfile ) echo "sk> $sfile does not exist."
   end

stty disp bsd
if ($?rfile) then
  kermit $flg -s $sfile -a $rfile
else
  kermit $flg -s $sfile
endif
stty disp posix
------------------------------------ rk -------------------------------------

#! /bin/csh
# ***************************************************************************
# *  rk - Use Kermit to receive a file.                                     *
# *                                                                         *
# *  This front end will get the given file in kermit format.   There are   *
# *  no arguments because the PC or MacIntosh will determine the filename.  *
# *                                                                         *
# *  To Call:   rk [-b] [filename]                                          *
# *  Flags:     -b == binary transfer mode                                  *
# *                                                                         *
# *  04/07/91 - Timothy Fredrick, (c) NCAR/ACD.                             *
# ***************************************************************************
while ($#argv > 0)
    switch ($1)
	case -b:
	    set flg = -i
	    breaksw
	default:
	    set fn = $argv
    endsw
    shift argv
end
if ( $?flg ) then
  echo "Be sure your terminal emulator sends Binary or MacBinary kermit"
else
  echo "Be sure your terminal emulator sends Text kermit"
  set flg =
endif
stty disp bsd
if ($?fn) then
   echo "Go into your terminal emulator now, and send your file"
   kermit $flg -k > $fn
else
   kermit $flg -r
endif
stty disp posix

Hope this all helps you.  Good luck.  --Tim

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (06/11/91)

In article <676362172.23@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> John.Burton@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (John Burton) writes:

>Okay, I've got a slight problem and am hoping someone out there
>in RS/6000 netland can help me.

[...] much deleted...

This may seem like a dumb question, but...
I actually posted this note earlier and from ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
and it *did* appear in this news group...now I see the *same* note
but apparently from John.Burton@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org!!!
whats going on??? I Have NO connection to FidoNet!!!

How did this appear as a posting from me from fidonet?????

In article <11775@ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick@acd.uucp (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>John.Burton@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (John Burton) writes:
>>
>>I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
>>[...]
>>I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
>>
>>Can someone suggest a way to do this on the RS/6000? Apparently I don't
>>have Kermit on the RS/6000 set up properly...can someone tell me how it
>>*should* be setup?
>>
>>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>| John Burton                                                        |
>>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>For a limited time you can anon ftp kermit from acd.ucar.edu (128.117.32.1).
>
>We have a similar setup here.  Be sure that you are logging in with
>Even Parity and 7 bits and have your terminal server set to the same (we have
>an emulex terminal server).  For protocol transfers you should use the
>bsd line discipline like this:
>
>	stty disp bsd ; KERMIT COMMANDS ; stty disp posix
>[...]
>Hope this all helps you.  Good luck.  --Tim

Thanks for all the help everyone (Rudy Chukran - I tried to reply to your
email, but my machine can't find your machine for some reason, the best it
can do is find austin.ibm.com or vnet.ibm.com - got any suggestions on
*that* problem? we have the mailer configured straight out of the box,
sendmail.cf etc are just the way IBM shipped it...)

It turns out the problem/solution is the following...

I'm using C-kermit ver 4F from byron.u.washington.edu. Compiled the
way the folks at u.washington suggest ("make aixv3") which is for
BSD compliant compilation, Kermit works fine *IF* I have "stty disp bsd"
(this was my problem all along, I do a "stty disp posix" in my .login).

Before I discovered this I redefined the aixv3 target in the makefile so
that it would do a SYSV R3 compliant compilation. The Kermit executables
created this way *also* worked fine...

so, the moral of this story is...

if kermit is compiled as SYSV R3 compliant, use "stty disp posix"
if kermit is compiled as BSD compliant, use "stty disp bsd"

whew!!! I wonder if this was my problem with xmodem???

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.124132.20530@news.larc.nasa.gov> jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) writes:
>How did this appear as a posting from me from fidonet?????

Fidonet is, as is somewhat common for it, screwing up and regurgitating old
news.  I suggest you send mail to postmaster@egsgate.fidonet.org and
complain, loudly!

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."