[comp.unix.aix] <None>

gravishanker@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/12/90)

Hi

I noticed the existence of a file /etc/security/failedlogin in my RS/6000. It
is a file containing failed login information and the accounting records on it
are written in utmp format. It apparently contains the information on failed
login - either username failures or password failures. When I did an:

	ac -p -w /etc/security/failedlogin

I got the following:

    	sshan     0.00
        UNKNOWN_1320.04
        root      0.00
        total  1320.05

Is this correct? Obviously, the UNKNOWN_ seems to have wrong format. It is hard
to believe the time taken up. The reason I say that is, I more'd the file,
knowing it is garbage, and there are about 10 or 15 entries for UNKNOWN_USER. I
can't see why that would add up to 1320 seconds(I hope these are not min.). My
feeling is that the 8 character username is causing the problem, thus the USER
is the UNKNOWN_USER getting read as some kind of time! If someone feels that is
not the case and that these times are correct, then I have my hands full and
need to look up what's going on. Any help is appreciated.

Ravi

robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov12.093602.35688@eagle.wesleyan.edu> gravishanker@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>	ac -p -w /etc/security/failedlogin

Try using:

	who /etc/security/failedlogin

This outputs the following on my system:

root        hft/0       Oct 22 07:59
root        hft/0       Oct 24 10:56
root        hft/0       Nov 02 08:01
root        hft/0       Nov 02 08:01
UNKNOWN_    hft/0       Nov 06 09:08
UNKNOWN_    hft/0       Nov 06 09:08
UNKNOWN_    hft/0       Nov 06 09:08
UNKNOWN_    hft/0       Nov 06 09:08
UNKNOWN_    hft/0       Nov 06 09:08
UNKNOWN_    hft/0       Nov 06 09:09
.
.
.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.184920.5967@nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca writes:
>According to the man pages of setuid() and setgid(), the behavior of
>the respective functions should be the same. Could somebody familiar
>with the setuid stuff enlighten me on why they aren't? Or is it a defect?

If any kind of defect it is one with the documentation.  The setgid()
and setuid() calls are supposed to be "POSIX Compliant".  I don't
have the docs in from of me right now, but I am fairly certain that
they specify the proper POSIX behavior (though I reserve the right to
be wrong ...)

>setuid (0); setgid (0);
>UID=2003 EUID=   0 GID=   0 EGID=   0          <--- GID expected to be 20

The situtation is that the effective UID at the time of the call to
setgid() is 0.  From POSIX 4.2.2.2 (3),

	"If the process has appropriate privileges, the setgid()
	 functions sets the real group ID, effective group ID, and
	 saved set-group-ID to gid."

If you execute the setgid() function when the effective GID is not
0, you should see the behavior that you expect.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ

ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai Ng) (02/15/91)

In article <5321@awdprime.UUCP>, jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) writes:

|> 	"If the process has appropriate privileges, the setgid()
|> 	 functions sets the real group ID, effective group ID, and
|> 	 saved set-group-ID to gid."

|> If you execute the setgid() function when the effective GID is not
|> 0, you should see the behavior that you expect.
|> --
|> John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
|> SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ
|> BangNet: ..!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!snowball.austin.ibm.com!jfh (e-i-e-i-o)

John,

First of all, how can I reply to you by email. The usr@...ibm.com addresses
never work.

You are right about the behavior of setgid() and setuid(). If I have mode
set to 6755 and call the setgid() before setuid(), I'll get the result
as I expected.

That means should never trust the manual (or man page). It has never
mentioned the setgid behavior could be under the mercy of setuid.

Thanks for your information.

...Kai

Kai S. Ng                     Informatics, National Research Council Canada
INTERNET ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca     M-60 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Canada    K1A 0R6
BITNET   kain@nrcvm01.bitnet  VOICE (613) 993-0240       FAX (613) 954-2561

jona@bcr.bellcore.com (Jon Alperin) (03/04/91)

Subject:MFS 13 & 15 Errors
Sender: usenet@bellcore.bellcore.com (Poster of News)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 14:07:43 GMT

Has anyone run across those #$@*&! console message when running AIX 3.1 that tell you

NFS Error 13 <a whole lot of register dumps>

We are running a pretty extensive and complex DCE net and seems to get these
messages on various consoles for a couple of hours and then they "fix" themselves.
Has anyone figured out where to look for information on these errors? Info has zip.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research
(908) 699-8674
(201) 699-8674

mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (03/05/91)

A while back, someone mentione that there were a bunch of diffs lying
around to install X11R4 on the RS6000s.  Being extremely manly and
macho (and rather dumb, i may add), I didn't pay attention, and tried
to do it all on my own. I have now successfully hung myself on the
	typedef enum _bool {0,1} bool;
hook in xpr, and would gladly hand over my first born to whoever is willing
to mail me the aforesaid diffs.

B.T.W., If I see another line saying _ANSI_C_SOURCE, I will barf.....

Thanx a fortune
Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu
Senior Analyst
Office of University Computing
University of Notre Dame              Voice:    (219) 239-5600  x6421
Notre Dame,  IN  46556

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.220636.23184@news.nd.edu> mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
>A while back, someone mentione that there were a bunch of diffs lying
>around to install X11R4 on the RS6000s.  Being extremely manly and
>macho (and rather dumb, i may add), I didn't pay attention, and tried
>to do it all on my own. I have now successfully hung myself on the
>	typedef enum _bool {0,1} bool;
>hook in xpr, and would gladly hand over my first born to whoever is willing
>to mail me the aforesaid diffs.

You can get the diffs by anonymous FTP from expo.lcs.mit.edu or any of
its many clones in the contrib section.

As for xpr, you'll notice that bool was never actually used in the
code, so you can just comment out that line in pmp.h, I believe.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

berk@blenda.rice.edu (Murat Berk) (03/29/91)

I try to get information on a process which pid is known.
The only referance I can find is the procinfo structure in the
/usr/include/procinfo.h file.

>/*
> * An array of these structures is returned by getprocs()
> */
>struct  procinfo
>{

But I cannot find any information for getprocs in info. Both find and search
for getprocs fails. Another reference is in the /usr/include/sys/proc.h
file. They recommend to read a file,

> * NOTE:        See sys/proc/README for details.

I could not find this file. It is not under include, not under /usr/lpp

The only thing I want to have is a pointer to the procinfo structure
so I can get the user and sys times for a process. If there exist another
way or routine, where should I look for info. Please E-mail me.

Murat Berk
Physics Department
Rice University

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (04/12/91)

Subject:Definition of .TOC file
Sender: usenet@bellcore.bellcore.com (Poster of News)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 16:30:53 GMT

Does anyone know what the values found in the first line of the .TOC file
on an AIXv3 Stacked Tape mean? we are trying to use IBM's install to load
some of our own software, and know we need the 3rd file to be a .TOC file,
but we cannot figure out what the 3 fields are supposed to be.

Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona@iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (04/20/91)

Subject:Can You PANIC Your system?
Sender: usenet@bellcore.bellcore.com (Poster of News)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 18:56:51 GMT

The following information is provided so that we can double check
a problem that IBM claims it cannot reproduce. The consequences
of what I am about to present can be extremely dangerous, especially
in a multi-user system.

   DO NOT TRY THIS ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STANDALONE OR SINGLE
USER SYSTEM.

We are running 3003/3004 and have managed to panic our machines
consistently by performing simple series of commands. One such
series is:

set | grep PWD | grep u

as well as:

tail -200 | grep <somestring> | more

SO:

  1. Can anyone reproduce this (or a similar sequence)?
  2. Does anyone have any ideas what caused this panic? We have
narrowed it down to panicing under ksh (not csh), and having no effect
whether we have mount points or not.
   Furthermore, it will not always fail on the first invocation of
these commands. Sometimes it takes several invocations before the
PANIC, while others will PANIC on the first try.

Please e-mail responses, and I will pursue with IBM. Since we can't seem
to figure out why these seemingly innocuous commands cause a panic, I
figured that you system admins might want to be aware. The 888 signals
are 0c9 888 102 700 0c4, and we are trying to get IBM a copy of the dump.

--

hoberoi@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr17.192557.5133@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, kakazu@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Gary Kakazu) writes:

> It appears that if a Fortran program calls a C program, and the C
> program calls the routine getenv, the program crashes.  If I comment
 [....]

yep ! it does crash. I discovered this problem when I rebuilt the VOGLE
library. Turns out that this bug (?) got introduced, after we applied the most
recent update of the operating system (3.1.0003). Older EXECUTABLES function ok
but relinking with the older version of the library crashes the programs.
xde traces the problem to the call to getenv. Only mixing C code with FORTRAN
crashes the programs.

Here is the bit of code with the error message from xde:

-----X-----X-----

char path[120], *flib;

 if ((flib = getenv("VFONTLIB")) == (char *)NULL) {
  strcpy(path, FONTLIB);
  strcat(path, fontname);
 } else {
  strcpy(path, flib);

segmentation violation in move._move at 0x10003d34
0x10003d34 (_move+0xec) 7d00052a       stsx   r8,r0,r0
[using soft_stat.char]

----X-----X

Lucky us that we saved all our earlier executables !!!
sigh!

Himanshu.

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (05/09/91)

Subject:101 uses for an RS/6000 (Was: IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news)
Date: Wed, 8 May 91 15:29:22 GMT

|> >       Nahhh, they're too big...use a mac for that!    ;-)

  Yeah, but those big 900 units make great space heaters, and those
disk drawers are just the right size for a couple of pizza boxes...

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona@iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

ev6x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/13/91)

I recall seeing a "Frequently Asked Questions" posting a while back.
Is it still being posted?
Maybe that information has moved somewhere and I missed the notice?
Is there an archive for the proceedings of comp.unix.aix?

I am interested in information on how to connect an IBM 4019
Laserprinter (Postscript Option, 2Meg) to the RS6000 520 parallel port.
I found the 520 P port pin-out in info.
I would like to know the pin-out for the 4019.
I would also be interested in an example of the command chain
necessary to set up the virtual printer and queue. I could poke
around in info, but it seems like something that someone else's
experience could more quickly illuminate.

Albert Putnam   putnam@msc2.msc.cornell.edu