[comp.unix.aix] ties and aix

forsyth@minster.york.ac.uk (06/12/91)

I must object to the association being proposed between `wearing a tie'
and `competence in technical matters'.  I am currently wearing a rather
nice tie from Liberty, and if you were therefore to assume that I was
not really up to kernel work, you might be making a big mistake!
Furthermore, `plimsolls, jeans, and T-shirt' seems just as much of a
conformist convention in some cults as `suit and tie'.
Some of the net articles are remarkably defensive in tone.
``No, honestly, we don't conform either: we all wear jeans & t-shirts just like you!''
Perhaps this nonsense bears little weight in any assessment of ability
and originality.
Let us return to technical issues and abandon sartorial sniping!

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (06/13/91)

Never! I refuse to take the word of anyone (especially from IBM) on a technical
matter if they are wearing a tie. I think that ties restrict the flow of blood
to the brain, and therefore the answers which I am liable to get (especially
from IBM) are all too often products of lightheadedness.

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona@iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (06/13/91)

In article <676737217.25035@minster.york.ac.uk> forsyth@minster.york.ac.uk writes:
>I must object to the association being proposed between `wearing a tie'
>and `competence in technical matters'.  I am currently wearing a rather
>nice tie from Liberty, and if you were therefore to assume that I was
>not really up to kernel work, you might be making a big mistake!
>Furthermore, `plimsolls, jeans, and T-shirt' seems just as much of a
>conformist convention in some cults as `suit and tie'.
>Some of the net articles are remarkably defensive in tone.
>``No, honestly, we don't conform either: we all wear jeans & t-shirts just like you!''
>Perhaps this nonsense bears little weight in any assessment of ability
>and originality.
>Let us return to technical issues and abandon sartorial sniping!

Different countries, different customs...In the states (or colonies if you will)
the "coat & tie" look is typical of a *business* type person, be they salesmen,
accountants, managers, etc...the casual attire (no tie!!!) is typical of a
technical type, engineer, scientist, technician, etc (those who actually *do* the
work...:-). In technical matters I would much rather hear from a technical
type instead of a business type...when was the last time you trusted a salesman
to give you a straight answer? (and when was the last time you saw a salesman NOT
wear a tie???)

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|

root@rios.au.ibm.com (The Super User) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun12.214318.13572@bellcore.bellcore.com> jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:
>Never! I refuse to take the word of anyone (especially from IBM) on a technical
>matter if they are wearing a tie. I think that ties restrict the flow of blood
>to the brain, and therefore the answers which I am liable to get (especially
>from IBM) are all too often products of lightheadedness.
>

>--
>Jon Alperin

Bleedin' Heck Jon, what about us poor blokes down here in Oz?

As we have the honour (?) of sometimes having customers (real paying ones)
come through our buildings, with Marketing Reps wandering around after
them saying things like 'This is our support center, don't they look great?'
we have to wear ties. Not only ties, but full suits as well. ( Huh, and
you thought we all wore Acubra hats and drank Foster's out of hot tinnies
in the middle of the Great Sandy Desert ... )

However, I have it on fairly good authority from some of our customers that
we do provide a reasonable level of support. After all, they can't see if you
are wearing a tie over the phone, can they?

Mind you, I promise not to tie my tie so tight in the morning just to
make sure I'm not missing out on any of that bloodflow :-)!

Regards,

Peter May, Advisory Program Service Rep, AIX Support Center, Sydney, Australia.
VNET: PETERMAY at SYDVM1, INTERNET: peter@uuneon.pub.uu.oz.au
/* I DO NOT SPEAK FOR IBM HERE! I DO ENOUGH OF THAT ELSEWHERE! */

rich@kunikpok.uucp (Richard Hasting) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.020007.32113@rios.au.ibm.com> au0005@ausvmq.austin.ibm.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.214318.13572@bellcore.bellcore.com> jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:
]>>Never! I refuse to take the word of anyone (especially from IBM) on a technical
]>>matter if they are wearing a tie. I think that ties restrict the flow of blood
]>>to the brain, and therefore the answers which I am liable to get (especially
]>>from IBM) are all too often products of lightheadedness.
]>>
]>>
]>>--
]>>Jon Alperin

Watch out Jon, some of us are watching you.  Next time you call in, I'll
remember your name:-)  Given my preference, I would be wearing shorts
and a Tee, but hey ...

	Actually, the dumbest people I have ever met have been wearing
torn blue jeans and baseball caps.  Just because you might have gotten
some bad technical advice from a tie wearer doesn't imply that advice
from all tie wearers is as suspect.  The point is, a person should be
judged by there integrity, not by what they wear:-)
--
       Richard Hasting, Austin TX.
       rich@kunikpok.uucp; ... !cs.utexas.edu!icus.com!kunikpok!richkuni
       Richard Hasting, Austin TX.
       rich@kunikpok.uucp; ... !cs.utexas.edu!icus.com!kunikpok!richkuni
       What organization, I own the machine.
       "We're on a mission from God." - Dan A.

jona@iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) (06/20/91)

Ok...I've gotten flamed (or at least toasted) enough. I retract my
"I don't trust ties" statement. But I still believe that people
that prefer to wear ties over more comfortable clothes are a bit
strange (and I'm not sure I trust them) :-} OK?

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona@iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

jeffs@soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) (06/21/91)

I tried not to comment on this yet, but after getting a letter
from my friend yesterday, I felt I had to.

IBM Austin is fairly liberal for an IBM site as far as dress.  I've
spent about 3 months there as an IBM employee wearing a t-shirt,
jeans and sneakers while working on the first release of both
AIX/6000 and AIX/PS2.

However the tie comments are valid for most of IBM, even for
programmers.

A friend of mine works at a upstate NY IBM location, as a programmer,
with no customer contact.  A group of people there have started
dress down friday (no ties, still a button down shirt, slacks,
shoes).

They have been told that is is unwise, because it coul "Limit
their opportunity (for advancement)".

Perhaps the rest of the company will follow Austin's dress codes.

jeffs@sgi.com

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) (06/22/91)

In an article, rich@kunikpok.uucp (Richard Hasting) writes:
>Actually, the dumbest people I have ever met have been wearing
>torn blue jeans and baseball caps.  Just because you might have gotten
>some bad technical advice from a tie wearer doesn't imply that advice
>from all tie wearers is as suspect.  The point is, a person should be
>judged by there integrity, not by what they wear:-)

Methinks that it is all a matter of conformity.  Are you wearing your tie
and suit because you *want* to wear your tie and suit, or has it been
dictated that "Thou shalt wear thy Tie and thy Suit"?  Those who actually
enjoy ties and suits are typically of an anal retentive nature, and not
suitable for UNIX or C programming -- RPG III on the AS/400 is more their
speed.

Those who are forced to wear ties and suits as a result of economic oppression
by their employer, well ... it depends.  If they subconsciously enjoy being
oppressed, then they too are anal retentive, and should persue RPG programming
as noted above.  If they resent wearing ties and suits, but don't want to
give up the big bucks they are pulling down, then they should do us all a
favor and get the hell out of the programming profession and become salesman;
that's what they are now, anyhow.  Lastly, if you are dirt poor and suit-bound,
then you have my deepest sympathy... but think how good it will feel when
you finally tell your employer where *exactly* they can insert all of that
suit cloth.

Remember -- real UNIX programmers have long hair, beards, and wear sandals.

Cheers!  And remember ... read this with a :-) in mind.  Of course, if you
were offended, then you are anal retentive in nature, and really should
consider RPG as a career path option.

--
Mike Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles -- Opinions stated are never realistic!
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards out of men." -Lincoln

shore@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Melinda Shore) (06/23/91)

In article <294@bria.UUCP> uunet!bria!mike writes:
>Remember -- real UNIX programmers have long hair, beards, and wear sandals.

Wrong.

Sign me short-haired, beardless, and besneakered,
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/23/91)

In article <294@bria.UUCP>, mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) writes:

|> Remember -- real UNIX programmers have long hair, beards, and wear sandals.

In the January 1991 UnixWorld, starting from Page 45, the article "Who is the
Real Dennis Ritchie?" has a very clear picture of Dr. Ritchie.  Hmm... Let me
check against your criteria above ...

1, "have long hair"  Nope!  Dr. Ritchie's hair is very trimed, more like a
    an Army general's... Next,
2. "beards", Yep, he does have some.  Not long however, just "man's beard"
3. "wearing sandals"  Grrr... this picture doesn't show his feet, can't tell.

Worse, he was wearing a shirt!

CONCLUSION:

A Korn shell script Dantest is created...

#! /bin/ksh
#
# the following Korn shell script attempts to determine whether Dr. Ritchie
# of AT&T, the creator of the C programming language and co-creator of the
# UNIX time sharing operating system is a real UNIX/C programmer or not per
# Mr. Stefanik's world famous triple critria
#
# No copyright is claimed. Henceforth this very script is in public domain,
# Have at it.
#

if [ -n "Dr. Ritchie does not have long hair" ]; then

	"Dr. Ritchie" != "real UNIX/C programmer"
fi

For some unknown reasons, Dantest never runs!  Something must be wrong here!
Any pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) (06/23/91)

What we really learn from this discussion is that soi-disant "unix
experts" who have nothing better to do than fill a previously fairly
high signal-to-noise group with fluff are, at usual, expert at nothing
except the display of their own prejudices, sexism prominently
included.

--
Benson I. Margulies

dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com (David Skeen) (06/24/91)

Could we move or end this discussion?  Thanks,
--
Dave Skeen                     IBM Internal: dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com
D61/803  Zip 2603              IBM VNET:     SKEEN at AUSTIN

mrl@uai.com (Mark R. Ludwig) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun20.140932.7398@bellcore.bellcore.com>, Jon Alperin writes:
>I still believe that people that prefer to wear ties over more
>comfortable clothes are a bit strange (and I'm not sure I trust them)
>:-} OK?

You're allowed your opinion, but I'm reminded of a saying from one of
the fortune cookie programs:

	An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.

In other words, you may think Foo, who wears a tie, is strange.  It is
not the tie's fault that Foo is strange, and there is no logic in
claiming that anyone else who wears a tie is also strange!

Then there's the classic:

	Don't judge a book by its cover.

In fact I'm blowing smoke because the reason I wear a tie is that
people *do* judge others by their clothes.  It's wrong!  I know plenty
of people who wear a tie, but who didn't always, and as far as I can
tell it has little impact on their technical ability.  In some cases,
they seem to have improved, but perhaps that's because they're
learning as they age, and their clothing plays no part in the
change.$$
--
INET: mrl@uai.com       UUCP: uunet!uaisun4!mrl       PSTN: +1 213 822 4422
USPS: 7740 West Manchester Boulevard, Suite 208, Playa del Rey, CA  90293

consp04@bingsuna.bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd) (06/28/91)

	Enough about ties already!

	I think one should avoid wearing a tie when servicing or
unloading a high-speed line printer.

						-- Dan
--
Daniel F. Boyd