[comp.unix.aix] lpr problems under 3.1.5

map@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au (Michael Page) (06/28/91)

Hi folks

I have a few queries regarding things that happened when I updated to 3.1.5:

* Ever since I updated to 3.1.5 (and 2006) from 3.1.3 the (parallel) printer
  attached to my RS6000/320 has been *adding a header page* when a file is
  printed via lpr, despite my asking that it not be added when I configured
  the vitual printer in SMIT.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it a bug
  or have I stuffed something up?  (I followed the installation instructions
  carefully.)  For the record, /etc/qconfig contains:

  lp0:
        device = lp0
  lp0:
        file = /dev/lp0
        header = never                    *suggests it shouldn't appear!!!!
        trailer = never
        access = both
        backend = /usr/lpd/piobe

  (I know I could get rid of it with 'lpr -h', but I shouldn't have to!)

* When I ran mkvirprt (either within or outside SMIT) it seemed to jam up.
  However, once I had also defined a couple of remote printers it seemed to
  work again.

* The update notice for 3.1.5 says that /usr/lib/sendmail.cf will be updated
  but this didn't seem to happen for me (the version before and after the
  update is dated 11/6/90).  Do I have the latest version?

I'd appreciate any feedback on whether I'm alone in these problems.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Page, Maths Dept, Monash University, Melbourne, Oz

map@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au

Subject: lpr problems under 3.1.5 (and sendmail.cf updated?)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix

Hi folks

I have a few queries regarding things that happened when I updated to 3.1.5:

* Ever since I updated to 3.1.5 (and 2006) from 3.1.3 the (parallel) printer
  attached to my RS6000/320 has been adding a header page before a file
  printed via lpr, despite my asking that it not be printed when I configured