[comp.unix.aix] IBM 6000 vs HP 9000 series 700

hoberoi@eagle.wesleyan.edu (06/26/91)

Hi,
	here goes:
	any comparisons of RS6000 530/540 etc with the HP Apollo 9000 series
	700 machines ?

	HP claims better SPECmarks for all the comparable models

        SPEC    IBM 320		HP 720 		IBM 530  	HP 730
	mark    24.6    	55.5            32             	72.2
	int     16.3            39.0            20.4           	51.0
	fp	32.4            70.2		43.4		91.0

	I would be interested in the performance AIX vs HP-UX. How better/worse
	is the OS.

	graphics- IBM offers the SGI Personal Iris board for the 500 series
	machines. HP has the T1/T2 based boards. How do the two compare ?

thanks
Himanshu hoberoi@beaver.wesleyan.edu

dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.160925.53455@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, hoberoi@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
|> Hi,
|> 	here goes:
|> 	any comparisons of RS6000 530/540 etc with the HP Apollo 9000 series
|> 	700 machines ?
|>
|> 	HP claims better SPECmarks for all the comparable models
|>
|>         SPEC    IBM 320		HP 720 		IBM 530  	HP 730
|> 	mark    24.6    	55.5            32             	72.2
|> 	int     16.3            39.0            20.4           	51.0
|> 	fp	32.4            70.2		43.4		91.0
|>

|> 	I would be interested in the performance AIX vs HP-UX. How better/worse
|> 	is the OS.
|>
|> 	graphics- IBM offers the SGI Personal Iris board for the 500 series
|> 	machines. HP has the T1/T2 based boards. How do the two compare ?
|>
|> thanks
|> Himanshu hoberoi@beaver.wesleyan.edu

No answer, but a comment:

Beware of HP's claims.  Their machine is *hot*, but they tend
to be into hyperboil (?sp).  See Dvorak's column in PC Magazine,
where he reports HP's claims of a 720 vs a Cray, and interprets these
with a wise ton of salt.

The HP videotape I saw cited a SAS developer compairing SAS on the
HP versus SAS on a 3090-600E.  Only problem is,
SAS/C (in which SAS is now written) does not,
to the best of my knowledge, take advantage of the IBM vector facility,
multitasking, or QSAM chaining; the comparison was a little skewed.
I would also use the caveats suggested by Dvorak, in terms of
scalability of the comparisons.

Mind you, I repeat: the 720 is a *hot* machine!  And the PC simulator
beats pcsim by miles.

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.214124.29573@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) writes:

[ various numbers and statistics deleted...]

>Beware of HP's claims.  Their machine is *hot*, but they tend
>to be into hyperboil (?sp).
            ^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like a salesweenie's social disease :-}. Suppose they have to go
in eventually and get it lanced :-}!!

>The HP videotape I saw cited a SAS developer compairing SAS on the
>HP versus SAS on a 3090-600E...

>Mind you, I repeat: the 720 is a *hot* machine!

But, but, but.... it couldn't be as "*hot*" as a 3090, after all it doesn't
have to be water-cooled :-}!

Sorry folks, its been a long day and I needed a giggle!

Disclaimer: The usual applies.
--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.214124.29573@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) writes:

>Beware of HP's claims.  Their machine is *hot*, but they tend
>to be into hyperboil (?sp).  See Dvorak's column in PC Magazine,
>where he reports HP's claims of a 720 vs a Cray, and interprets these
>with a wise ton of salt.

It's clear from this column# that Dvorak doesn't know his asymptote
from a hole-in-the-graph when it comes to benchmarks.  He presents
*no* first hand data to back up his claims, sheds no light on what the
referenced benchmark, AN-SYS something-or-other, measures, and then
proceeds to claim it has no basis or relevance.  He uses arguments
like "this benchmark indicates that the HP is half as fast as a Cray,
and *I* know that isn't the case, so this result is bogus."  What a
crock.

He says how he "was told" that the Cray's time on the test was
nearly all system overhead, and that if the test were lengthened 100
times, its time might not increase whereas the HP's time would likely
be 100 times greater.  What garbage.

He concludes with a comment from an unnamed CISC weenie that RISC
machines are only marginally faster than equivalent CISC machines, as
if neither of these guys (Dvorak nor his source) had a stake in CISC.
Sheesh.

I suggest Dvorak's readers interpret his column with a carload of
salt.  Or better yet, skip it favor of a column with some meat in it.

Can anyone shed any more light on this AN-SYS benchmark and what it
measures?

# I received a copy of a Dvorak article on this topic electronically.
I'm assuming it's substantially the same as the one referenced above.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.

wdh@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (W. David Higgins) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.191020.26093@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:

>Can anyone shed any more light on this AN-SYS benchmark and what it
>measures?

	I'm not a user of ANSYS, but I've been involved in porting
the program to several platforms.  Take all of this with a small
chip of salt...

	ANSYS is a finite element analysis program, used to model
physical structures and the stresses placed upon them.  SP-3 is
a "moderate sized 3-D solid statis analysis of a pressure vessel
containing 1020 eight node solid elements".  ANSYS is a product
of Swanson Analysis Systems Inc. (SASI), Houston PA.

	From what I remember ANSYS in general, and solving SP-3
in particular, spends much of its time doing linear algebra
(dot product, etc.).  I suspect a machine that does well on the
Linpack benchmark would do equally well with ANSYS.

	I don't believe Dvorak's column gave SP-3 times for Intel
x86 boxes;  let me remedy that by giving some times from SASI's
03/20/91 benchmark report:

SP-3:
Machine			CPU	Elapsed		Comments
--------		----	----		------------------------------
CRAY-2			 27	 29		One processor used for timings
CRAY Y-MP 8/128		 17	 17		One processor used for timings
IBM 6000/540		 68	 70
ALR 486/33mHz		360	360
HP 486/25mHz		550	550
Gateway 386/33mHz	804	804

	No wonder Dvorak conveniently forgot to include x86 times.

	There is some small truth to Dvorak's claim that SP-3 doesn't
give the Cray a chance to strut it's stuff, although it is probably vector
length and not system overhead that is involved.  SASI's LS4 benchmark
problem is considerably larger in size than SP-3.  Some times follow:

LS4:
Machine			CPU	Elapsed
--------		----	----
CRAY-2			647	699
IBM 6000/540		4139	4656

	Notice that the IBM-6000 took 2.5x the Cray running SP-3, but
the ratio grew to 6.4x when solving LS4.  LS4 is a _large_ problem;
SASI says 600mb of disk is required to complete the run.  The benchmark
reports I am quoting from did not include HP snake times, so I cannot
give the HP times for LS4.  Dvorak gave SP-3 CPU times of 49 seconds for
the HP 9000/730, and 68 seconds for the HP 9000/720.

	I hope this information is useful.
--
--  W. David Higgins                   wdhiggins@hrshcx.mkt.csd.harris.com
--  Harris Computer Systems,  Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309       305-973-5351

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/28/91)

In article <1145@hrshcx.csd.harris.com>, wdh@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (W. David Higgins) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun26.191020.26093@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
|> >
|> >Can anyone shed any more light on this AN-SYS benchmark and what it
|> >measures?

[some stuff deleted]

|> 	ANSYS is a finite element analysis program, used to model
|> physical structures and the stresses placed upon them.  SP-3 is
|> a "moderate sized 3-D solid statis analysis of a pressure vessel
|> containing 1020 eight node solid elements".  ANSYS is a product
|> of Swanson Analysis Systems Inc. (SASI), Houston PA.

[some benchmarks deleted]

As an experienced aerospace engineer (five years at two USA's primier avaition
companies) and a long time user of many Finite Elment Analysis can programs,
I would like to add more to above.

ANSYS is capable of using the Finite Element Method to solve engineering programs

in (1) static structural analyses, like landing/crach loads on the wing of an            fighter both in linear and non-linear formulations,
   (2) structural dynamic analyses, like the the manovering loads on the wing
       of a F15,
   (3) heat transfer problems, like the temperature effect on the nozzle of a
       rocket.

and many physical problems that can be mapped into (1)-(3) above.

It's probably the secondly popular FEM package used in Aerospace/Automotive/
Civil/Neuclear/..  The primier pkg is the enhanced commerical version of the
formally NASA sponsored NASTRAN, called MSC/NASTRAN, (MSC, MacNeal and Schwandler,
both were heavily involved in the original NASA NASTRAN project).

The core of such pkgs is a set of numerical linear algebra routines and usually
both Swanson and MSC program them to suite the specific platform they are intended
to run on.  So other than the smartness of programmers, the differences among the
hardwares' capabilities of handling numerical linear algebra problems play a
dominant role as well.  eg. MSC has a vector version of MSC/NASTRAN for IBM 3090.

Such can programs are usually front-ended by a graphics preprocessor for building
a math model interactively, and back-ended by a graphics postprocessor for
viewing TONs of results generated by such pkgs :-(

It's my experience that in solving a problem, typically the human time is the
longest portion of the entire project time (modeling the physical structure,
checking out the math model, interpreting results, meetings, and yes, reports)
so such benchmarks are seldom of *VERY* much importance even though all of us
probably would like to run the darned problem on a fast machine.  As a example,
a rocket nozzle may take several weeks to model, maybe hours to solve on
a typical powerful technical workstation like RISC 6000, and another few weeks
to prepare everything else I mentioned above.

As to comparing 486 boxes to technical workstations like RISC 6000s, I think it
is better for joke than for reality, as a CISC processor with some hybrid pipe-
line features built in, even at 33Mhz, it offers less than 2 MFLOPs.  Even
a wimpy SPARC 1+ can handily beat it in this regard.

This leads me to... a 40Mhz i860 offers 80 MFLOPs.  Can IBM Austin people design
a addon board to utilize i860 for us?  After all, IBM owns part of Intel and
if RISC 6000 lines are designed for technical users, I would say the more MFLOPS
the bigger your market share will be :-)  Now this is THE MOTIVATION for IBM :-)

80 MFLOPS!  Beat Cray if you want (you can already, the hardware is there :-).

Sincerely,

Chin Fang
Student Unix System Administrator
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

grad student
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) (06/28/91)

Chin> This leads me to... a 40Mhz i860 offers 80 MFLOPs.  Can IBM
Chin> Austin people design a addon board to utilize i860 for us?
Chin> After all, IBM owns part of Intel and if RISC 6000 lines are
Chin> designed for technical users, I would say the more MFLOPS the
Chin> bigger your market share will be :-) Now this is THE MOTIVATION
Chin> for IBM :-)

A 40 MHz RISC-System/6000 can also do 80 MFLOPS, and IBM seems to have
done a much better job at writing good compilers for their CPU than
Intel has.

I have important pieces of my fluid dynamics codes that run at over 25
MFLOPS on the Model 320 and over 60 MFLOPS on a Model 550.
Unfortunately not all of the code runs that fast yet --- there are
still memory bandwidth bottlenecks to deal with....

If someone wants to build a "Real (tm)" number-crunching machine, then
it is going to have to support 2 64-bit loads, 1 64-bit store, 1
64-bit FP add, 1 64-bit FP multiply, and 1 logical operation/branch
per cycle.  Right now if you want one of those, you will have to call
Cray Research....
--
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu

mas@everest.corp.sgi.com (Michael A. Schulman) (06/28/91)

In article <1145@hrshcx.csd.harris.com>, wdh@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (W. David Higgins) writes:

|> SP-3:
|> Machine			CPU	Elapsed		Comments
|> --------		----	----		------------------------------
|> CRAY-2			 27	 29		One processor used for timings
|> CRAY Y-MP 8/128		 17	 17		One processor used for timings
|> IBM 6000/540		 68	 70
|> ALR 486/33mHz		360	360
|> HP 486/25mHz		550	550
|> Gateway 386/33mHz	804	804
|>

|> give the HP times for LS4.  Dvorak gave SP-3 CPU times of 49 seconds for
|> the HP 9000/730, and 68 seconds for the HP 9000/720.

It is important to look at the Elapsed times, not just the CPU times.  If a
system is not tuned correctly, although the CPU times may be low, the total
time from start to completion may be high which is what someone doing similiar
work probably cares about.

From the 5/7/91 ANSYS Report,  the SP-3 times for the HP are

             CPU      ELAPSED

    720       66       121
    730       48       109

Michael Schulman

Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94039

415-962-3308

mas@sgi.com

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun25.160925.53455@eagle.wesleyan.edu> hoberoi@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Hi,
>	here goes:
>	any comparisons of RS6000 530/540 etc with the HP Apollo 9000 series
>	700 machines ?
>
>	HP claims better SPECmarks for all the comparable models

You need to compare some HP model against the 550 as well.  I won't
go into the dangers of comparing today's hot box against last years
hot box, but try to keep in mind that with technology changing as
rapidly as it does, you really have to compare the latest technology
against the latest technology.  You also have to compare bang/$$$
as well.  Merely stacking the lowest performance HP against the
lowest performance IBM machine is neither accurate nor fair (but
commonly does pass for a marketing strategy ...)
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

jlitvin@morticia.intel.com (John Litvin ~) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.194224.29879@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:

>   This leads me to... a 40Mhz i860 offers 80 MFLOPs.  Can IBM Austin
>   people design a addon board to utilize i860 for us?  After all, IBM owns
>   part of Intel and if RISC 6000 lines are designed for technical users, I
>   would say the more MFLOPS the bigger your market share will be :-) Now this
>   is THE MOTIVATION for IBM :-)

IBM owns no Intel stock.  During the nasty years in the mid 80's, IBM did
buy a chunk of Intel's stock (as a sort of loan to make sure that the 80386
would come out), but as soon as Intel started making money again, IBM sold
all of the shares.

John Litvin
Intel Corp.
jlitvin@morticia.intel.com