[comp.unix.aix] Does AIX have the TLI ?

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (06/27/91)

Subject pretty well says it...  My guess is no.

--
Lyle 	508 967 2322
lws@wang.com
Wang Labs, Lowell, MA, USA

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (06/29/91)

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>Subject pretty well says it...  Re: Does AIX have the TLI ?

Gack.  AIX, TLI, SNA, SAA, SAS, IBM, UBM, we all BM for IBM...  I can't
keep up with all these buzzwords.  What, pray tell, _is_ TLI?  And can I
too add it to my resume, like "client/server computing" and "realtime
systems", which only became buzzwords long after I acquired the
related experience ;-)

This industry is getting just a wee bit *too* specialized, IMHO.
Whoops, that's a 4LA rather than a TLA (Three Letter Acronym)...

-rich

mike@bria.UUCP (Mike Stefanik) (06/30/91)

In an article, rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>Gack.  AIX, TLI, SNA, SAA, SAS, IBM, UBM, we all BM for IBM...  I can't
>keep up with all these buzzwords.  What, pray tell, _is_ TLI?

Gotta say Rich, this gave me quite a chuckle.  "We all BM for IBM..."
That's pretty good.

Seriously, TLI stands for Transport Layer Interface.  Without getting into
writing a novel on the subject ...

The ISO (International Standards Organization) defined OSI (Open Systems
Interconnection), which is broken into seven layers:

		Application
		Presentation
		Session
		------------ Transport Layer Interface
		Transport
		Network
		Link
		Physical

OSI defines the message passing between the layers, and the actions that
the layers take themselves.  TLI sits "between" the transport and session
layers, providing a common interface for applications to talk to a resource
provider (such as TCP/IP on a network that groks IP).

--
Mike Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles -- Opinions stated are never realistic!
"He who inspects errno before a system call returns failure shall be buried

benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) (06/30/91)

Transport Level Interface. Part of V.4 and Xopen (as XTLI).

I've seen no evidence of it on AIX 3.1.
--
Benson I. Margulies