[fa.info-vax] Backup and networks...

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (05/29/85)

From: Chris Yoder <engvax!CHRIS@cit-vax>

>      Suppose I had a bunch of microVAXen DECnet'd via Ethernet to a
> larger VAX, all running uVMS/VMS.  Is there some equivalent of the Unix
> rdump command (file system dump across the network) available to do
> backups to the big VAX with its high-speed tape drive?  This would
> avoid the need for a streamer tape (TK50) or doing disk-to-disk copies
> at each uVAX.  What is recovery like for this command (if it exists)?
>
> Dick Dramstad
> rad@mitre-bedford.arpa

Arrrgggg!!!!!  We had a similar problem out at school where we had one 780 with
a tape drive and a host of 750's (with no tape drives) hooked up with DECnet via
an Ethernet.  BACKUP for some *(&^%$%^#@@@$%^!! reason won't let you backup from
a disk on a system remote to the tape drive onto that tape drive.  BACKUP will
allow you to go from one disk to another (on a remote system or not) and then to
a tape drive but this wastes time and (more importantly in the above case) disk
space.

Are you listening out there DEC?  Why do most things work very transparently
over the network except for BACKUP?  Grrrrr.

				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}scgvaxd!engvax!chris
ARPA --- engvax!chris@cit-vax.ARPA

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>