[fa.info-vax] current Kermit version

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (05/31/85)

From: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

In reference to
>From: dual!islenet!bob@BERKELEY

>Subj: some software packages affected by VMS4.0
>
>Of possible interest to others out there, here is my (brief) list
>of some software packages affected by an upgrade to VMS4.0 from
>VMS3.7:
>        KERMIT  (public domain file transfer from Columbia)
>
>        Current VAX MACRO version supposedly destroys terminal blocks
>        when run under VMS4.1.  A hexified version of a revised
>        KERMIT.EXE that does work under VMS4.1 (also 3.x) is
>        downloadable from dec-marlboro (but does anybody have
>        a new version in source code form?).

I'm not sure which version of Kermit is meant.
We had some problems with VMS Kermit-32 version 3.1.051, but
VMS Kermit-32 version 3.1.066 (available over Bitnet from CUVMA)
seems to work for us.

The following is extracted from CUVMA KERMSRV $$README FIRST:

To get Kermit on magnetic tape from Columbia University, follow the directions
in the file FLYER.DOC.  There are also other ways to get Kermit:

. Network Distribution:

The Kermit files are also available from Columbia via computer network.
To learn how obtain Kermit files via BITNET, type the following command
to your BITNET host:

        SMSG RSCS MSG CUVMA KERMSRV HELP

        [SEND/REM CUVMA KERMSRV HELP if using VMS/jnet.]

To get Kermit files via Internet, use FTP, connect to host CU20B (Internet
Host number [192.5.43.128]), login as user ANONYMOUS, password KERMIT, and
use the GET or MULTIPLE GET commands to retrieve the desired files from
the area KER:, e.g. "DIRECTORY KER:", "GET KER:00README.TXT".  Network users
may consult the file KER:CURRENT.DOC from time to time to see what new versions
of Kermit have been installed recently.

There is a network mailing list for Kermit information; it is available to
users of BITNET and Internet and most networks that are connected to them,
inclusing CSnet, Usenet, Mailnet, CCnet, and others.  To get on the mailing
list, send mail to

        Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B

CU20B is a mail host on both Internet and BITNET, and is reachable from
CSnet, Mailnet, Usenet, and other networks via explicit host routing, e.g.

        Info-Kermit-Request%CU20B@CSnet-Relay

. UUCP Access:

UUCP access to the Kermit sources is provided as a public service by

        Oklahoma State University
        Department of Computing and Information Sciences
        Stillwater, Oklahoma

from 10:00pm until 10:00am CST, 7 days per week.  A command like: "uucp
okstate!/u/kermit/ux* dir" should transfer the UNIX Kermit distribution to the
requesting system. The file names are the same as those distributed on the
tape, except in lower case.

UUCP login information for site:  okstate

Phone number :  (405) 624-6953  (one line only, 300/1200b)
Login name   :  uucpker
Password     :  thefrog
Hours        :  10:00pm - 10:00am central time (7 day per week)
Problem      :  okstate!uucp-support  (UUCP)
  reports    :  uucp-support%okstate@csnet-relay  (ARPA)

. Floppy Disk Distribution:

MS-DOS Kermit for the IBM PC may be obtained on IBM PC floppy disk from:

        PC SIG
        1556 Halford Avenue, Suite #130
        Santa Clara, CA  95051
        (408) 730-9291

on disks number 41 and 42, for a moderate fee.

[End of extract]

Selden Ball

Cornell University, LNS        NYNEX: (607) 256-4882
Wilson Synchrotron Lab        BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Dryden Road                     ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Ithaca, NY  14853