[sci.skeptic] sci.skeptic? talk.skeptic!

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (10/09/89)

Okay, since they can't police themselves, how about we decide if it's
junk for them...

Talk.religion.newage was a nice group (lots of discussion, but somewhat
informational), a group where something actually got done.  Right now,
sci.skeptic is just a pain in the ***.  I don't have 1000 blocks for my
KILL file, which is about the size it would be if I bothered to use it.
The material that's been coming across the group has an abysmal quality
level - talk.rumor-monger.unknown would be a better title for what's been
coming across...

I think we've given the group enough time to show its colors...rather
than create yet another group, how about just renaming the sucker to
where it belongs...a sci.* group that's 80% noise (by your own estimate)
is way out-of-line.  At least in talk.* it fits the description.

Also, since we're going to have to re-vote, how about taking new age
topics out and putting them back where they seem to do better.  I'll put
up with a lot of bull (I'm not one of those timid new-agers - I know how
to deal with taking a few lumps), but I'm not up for weeding through 100
articles every other day to find 2 or 3 that I like reading.  New Age
topics belong in talk.religion.newage, not a conglomeration group...

Anyone else?

--
Les Barstow                              **All of the paths work!!!!**
LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET  lmb7421@{ultb,vaxa,vaxb,vaxc,vaxd}.isc.rit.edu

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (10/10/89)

In article <4319@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <4204@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>>that will post the sorts of things that I proposed.  Talk.sckeptic
>>would have been all crap rather than the 80% figure I calculate now.
>
>Well let's make talk.skeptic and move the other 80% out of sci.*...

Once again, don't be silly. This suffers from the same flaw as your
comment about the establishment of *.flame. People very, very rarely
flame in *.flame _rather_ than in the original newsgroup. If you
establish talk.skeptic, it will only move about 5% of the traffic.
It may simultaneously create new traffic in larger volume than we're
seeing here...
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

bamst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian A. Mermon) (10/11/89)

In article <4287@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>I think it's time to create a talk.skeptic, for the old chestnuts, and if this
>leaves sci.skeptic empty so be it.

Go for it Peter!  Have some Gall!

Brian

bamst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian A. Mermon) (10/11/89)

In article <4204@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>that will post the sorts of things that I proposed.  Talk.sckeptic
>would have been all crap rather than the 80% figure I calculate now.

One man's Crap is another man's goldmine.  Talk."sckeptic" is full of "gold".

Brian

In article <4208@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Oh well, another good idea shot to hell...
>
>The point is that we cannot trust everyone to police themselves
>according to our tastes.  Leave everything as it is.  KILL files work
>quite well I hear.

RMGROUPS work even better.

Brian

wsdwgk@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (g.v.rooij) (10/11/89)

In article <19920@unix.cis.pitt.edu> bamst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian A. Mermon) writes:
->In article <4204@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
->>that will post the sorts of things that I proposed.  Talk.sckeptic
->>would have been all crap rather than the 80% figure I calculate now.
->
->One man's Crap is another man's goldmine.  Talk."sckeptic" is full of "gold".
->
->Brian
-
I agree. I like to read it, so hands off please...

Guido