[sci.skeptic] Mars "face"

al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) (06/12/91)

Instead of a bunch of amateur interpretations of this picture, it would
be interesting to get a professional's opinion.  There are people who
spend their entire careers interpreting satellite and aerial recon
photos.  Most of them work for the government, but many are retired.
Have any of these people given an opinion on the photos?

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {decvax,hplabs,uunet!amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al         (602)870-1696 )

carl@sol1.gps.caltech.edu (Carl J Lydick) (06/17/91)

In article <1528@gtx.com>, al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) writes:
>Instead of a bunch of amateur interpretations of this picture, it would
>be interesting to get a professional's opinion.  There are people who
>spend their entire careers interpreting satellite and aerial recon
>photos.  Most of them work for the government, but many are retired.
>Have any of these people given an opinion on the photos?

I've talked to two of them.  I won't try to fit a transcription of about 15
minutes of laughter into this message.  At the end of the laughter, the
comments were something like "I shouldn't laugh.  There are some people who
actually take this SERIOUSLY".
Carl J Lydick | INTERnet: CARL@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU | NSI/HEPnet: SOL1::CARL

bks@lima.berkeley.edu (Bradley K. Sherman) (06/18/91)

I wonder if there are Martians poring over images of the Grand Tetons
trying to ascertain the meaning of this message from the Earthlings.
----------------------
	Brad Sherman (bks@alfa.berkeley.edu)

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (06/18/91)

	I've seen a copy of the Mars Face that was made available as a
GIF. It looks remarkably like the face of a macaque monkey.

	I guess I'm not too impressed by it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

dcorbett@socs.uts.edu.au (Dan Corbett) (06/18/91)

al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) writes:

>Instead of a bunch of amateur interpretations of this picture, it would
>be interesting to get a professional's opinion.
> [...]
>Have any of these people given an opinion on the photos?

I used to work in AI for The Analytic Sciences Corporation, and I knew the
guys who worked in TASC's image analysis lab in Boston.  They were asked by
NASA to interpret the "face" image.  They merged a few photos, and looked
at various lighting angles.  What they came up with finally (after a lot of
analysis) was a couple of hills. No face, no ruins, no cities, nothing special.
That one picture that produced the face was just taken at exactly the right
angle and lighting to produce the "face."

No, I *don't* know how to get any technical reports out of these people, and
I don't have their phone numbers/e-mail addresses/whatever.  Try the Boston
phone book.  Don't ask me, I moved to Australia years ago.

Dan Corbett
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Technology, Sydney

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/18/91)

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) writes:
> 	I've seen a copy of the Mars Face that was made available as a
> GIF. It looks remarkably like the face of a macaque monkey.

More to the point, the processed version which has had some of the shadows
reduced looks like a picture of a macaque monkey with acute goitre and with
the handle of a coffee mug glued to its left cheek.

> 	I guess I'm not too impressed by it.

Me neither.  It looks a lot more impressive un-processed, which tells you a
lot.

mathew