[sci.skeptic] anti-gravity?

bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) (06/18/91)

	A researcher in Scotland has developed a device that harnesses
gyroscopic energy to lift a device against gravity--antigravity for all intents
and purposes.

	The inventor has built several machines with the following
configuration:

		[] - small engine to power flywheels
              ------
	       |  |    - flywheels mounted so that their spin up-down
	       ----  - bottom of apparatus (central rod about which flywheels

would rotate if allowed)

	In demonstrations, the apparatus lifts against gravity (it is balanced
beforehand with an equal weight via balance arm).

	The inventor claims that the tendency for the flywheel arms to move
outward (centrifigal force) is greater than the force trying to move the
flywheels inward.
	Thus the machine "pushes" against gravity.

	Interesting, but is it feasible?  He claims that using nuclear
generators, it can be used to power spacecraft at a _constant_ 1G.

Brett
=============================OFFICIAL=DISCLAIMER================================
The opinions and views expressed here are strictly my own and do not
necessarily reflect the official position of either the U.S. Air Force
or its contractors.
=====================DO=NOT=REMOVE=TAG=UNDER=PENALTY=OF=LAW===:)================

stach@fritz.sri.com (John Stach x6191) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.004625.156@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil> bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) writes:

>	A researcher in Scotland has developed a device that harnesses
>gyroscopic energy to lift a device against gravity--antigravity for all intents
>and purposes.
>
> [... details deleted]
>
>	Interesting, but is it feasible?  He claims that using nuclear
>generators, it can be used to power spacecraft at a _constant_ 1G.
>
>Brett

No, it works on the same ordinary principles that the one on Beyond
2000 works on.  I will elaborate along with a simple (seemingly
innocuous) modification that will eliminate the effect tomorrow (if
someone else doesn't).

HINT: The principle cannot be used for spacecraft although it can and
has been used for aircraft.

John
I'm not antigravity, just proflight!

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/19/91)

bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) writes:

>	A researcher in Scotland has developed a device that harnesses
>gyroscopic energy to lift a device against gravity--antigravity for all intents
>and purposes.

>	The inventor has built several machines with the following
>configuration:

>		[] - small engine to power flywheels
>              ------
>	       |  |    - flywheels mounted so that their spin up-down
>	       ----  - bottom of apparatus (central rod about which flywheels

>would rotate if allowed)

>	In demonstrations, the apparatus lifts against gravity (it is balanced
>beforehand with an equal weight via balance arm).

>	The inventor claims that the tendency for the flywheel arms to move
>outward (centrifigal force) is greater than the force trying to move the
>flywheels inward.
>	Thus the machine "pushes" against gravity.

Hmmmmm.......

Seems to me those same flywheels that "push" against gravity will work
with gravity at 180 degrees flywheel rotation.

Of course, if you had some sort of weight that were extended out at
a bigger radius on the downward rotation and retracted on the upward...
Nah...that's too easy.....

You sure maybe he not powering it with cold fusion from a dishpan?? :-)

minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.004625.156@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil> bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) writes:

>	A researcher in Scotland has developed a device that harnesses
>gyroscopic energy to lift a device against gravity--antigravity...
>
>	In demonstrations, the apparatus lifts against gravity (it is balanced
>beforehand with an equal weight via balance arm).

Well, this is good for a contest.  Balances are easy because one can
make the required lift arbitrarily small.  So you can use

   a surreptitious airflow
   how 'bout running current through an electromagnet fied along the
balance arm.  this will produce torque in the earth's field.  (Called
a "dipping needle".
   simply putting a few KV of DC between the hardware and the balance
is almot sure to deflect the beam one way or the other, unless the
environment is symmetrical.

soh@andromeda.trl.OZ.AU (kam hung soh) (06/19/91)

bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) writes:

>	In demonstrations, the apparatus lifts against gravity (it is balanced
>beforehand with an equal weight via balance arm).

I saw this once on ``Beyond 2000'', and if I remember correctly, the
gadget is driven by an internal combustion engine.  Unfortunately,
because the gadget is consuming fuel, it will become lighter.  In
addition, the vibration caused by the motor would upset the balance
arm.

Whether he did or did not discover an anti-gravity device is hard to
say, but he should be more careful with his measurements before
declaring anything.

Regards,

------
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 3 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, POB 249 Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

matthews@ecfa.jesnet.jsc.nasa.gov (Michael C. Matthews) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.225759.23654@news.media.mit.edu> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>In article <1991Jun18.004625.156@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil> bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) writes:
>>
>>	A researcher in Scotland has developed a device that harnesses
>>gyroscopic energy to lift a device against gravity--antigravity...
>>
>>	In demonstrations, the apparatus lifts against gravity (it is balanced
>>beforehand with an equal weight via balance arm).
>
>Well, this is good for a contest.  Balances are easy because one can
>make the required lift arbitrarily small.  So you can use
>
>   a surreptitious airflow
>   how 'bout running current through an electromagnet fied along the
>balance arm.  this will produce torque in the earth's field.  (Called
>a "dipping needle".
>   simply putting a few KV of DC between the hardware and the balance
>is almot sure to deflect the beam one way or the other, unless the
>environment is symmetrical.

...and don't forget my favorite trick (frequency-domain control system
engineer that I am):

Weight your flywheel so that it is off-balance, and then spin it at
the appropriate rate to shake the balance at one of its resonant
frequencies-- hysteresis in the balance will cause it to show a constant
deflection of some value that depends on how hard you can shake it.

Never trust any mechanical force-measuring device with rotating machinery.

--
DISCLAIMER:  I frequently don't know what I'm talking about.